BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Now that's an oddball.

More
18 Nov 2021 16:48 #240184 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Now that's an oddball.

My Sat Nav tells the road speed, even warns me if I am speeding, hardly ever in my Jimny. It's fine as long as I update the database when the road speed changes.

Fortunately, it will do this when it connects to the home wifi.
SatNav can be wrong, even Google maps is often wrong on this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2021 16:50 #240185 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Now that's an oddball.

My objection is not so much the actual technology as much as I don't think it works reliably enough yet. There is a saying; to err is human, to mess things up completely you do need a computer. I'm sure I'm not alone in being able to point to dozens of instances in life where something has been designed by someone in an office with no meaningful real world experience and the product or service is useless because of it.
This is true of all tech, in which case a Gen 3 Jimny has way more tech than an SJ that is just as unreliable....

That said. The 4th Gen really doesn't have much tech in it anyway. ?None of it seems to cause any issues.

More
18 Nov 2021 16:57 #240186 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Now that's an oddball.

My Sat Nav tells the road speed, even warns me if I am speeding, hardly ever in my Jimny. It's fine as long as I update the database when the road speed changes.

Fortunately, it will do this when it connects to the home wifi.
SatNav can be wrong, even Google maps is often wrong on this.

Oh I know and I can't read the speed limit without my glasses in any case.  Fortunately, if Mrs DrRobin (SatNag) is in the car she can read it for me, except her comment is usually 'make sure you are in the right gear, get ready to over-take, etc', she makes for an impatient passenger, so I don't bother asking that much.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Nov 2021 18:18 #240187 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Now that's an oddball.
I appreciate that Suzuki build to a budget and I welcome that on the whole but a few more pounds per unit on some of the systems to make them a little easier on the consumer might not have gone amiss, eh tpms that accepts an off road car might need off road tyre pressure or automatic headlight that doesn't make other road users think you have flashed them out of a side road or as above a sign recognition system that can tell the difference between road signs and trucks.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 Nov 2021 09:39 - 19 Nov 2021 09:40 #240202 by Roger Fairclough
I have a small sticker on the dash. It reads "switch". This is to remind me to switch of the proximity alarm that tells me that a pigeon/squirrel has just flown/run across in front of Tonka. Years ago I decided that I would not deviate from the straight and narrow path ahead of me. If it was there I would, if safe to do so, brake but deviate and possibly loose control, never.

As 300bhpton has said, there isn't that much techno to worry about, and most can easily be switched off.

Roger
Last edit: 19 Nov 2021 09:40 by Roger Fairclough.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Nov 2021 11:17 #240205 by Lambert
Definitely agree if the choice is me or the wildlife then sorry squirrel your time is up.

More
19 Nov 2021 12:51 - 19 Nov 2021 12:54 #240206 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Now that's an oddball.
There may not be much tech fitted, but we are paying for those gizmos that are fitted. Nothing is free, and then we need to turn the feature off or ignore the information it provides, simply waiting for it to throw up a fail light when it eventually packs up.
That's why I avoid tech in cars myself now, and that's mainly thanks to modern VW's.

PS squirrel every time, especially it you are waiting for the crash avoidance gizmo to kick in 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 19 Nov 2021 12:54 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Nov 2021 13:08 #240208 by Lambert
Wot E sed ^^^^^^

More
20 Nov 2021 14:03 #240241 by Roger Fairclough
You just couldn't have made it up!

TESLA and the amazing door lock

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
21 Nov 2021 07:43 - 21 Nov 2021 07:49 #240261 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Now that's an oddball.
Ah now I understand, just seen the news. I suppose it's the electronic version of not being able to find your car keys  

edition.cnn.com/2021/11/19/business/tesl...p-problem/index.html

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 21 Nov 2021 07:49 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Nov 2021 09:30 #240263 by Lambert
Ha ha priceless! Sorry but if I'm paying good money for something commercially available then I expect it to work properly. I'd think differently if it were a prototype or beta version but not a mass production item.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds