BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Now that's an oddball.

More
17 Nov 2021 23:19 #240164 by Roger Fairclough
Hi all.

Drove from Redditch to Stratford via Alcester today. Took Alcester by-pass and turned left at the island by McDonald's and proceeded up a long straight single carraigeway road. This road has a 70 limit. After a few hundred yards an articulated truck overtook me. As he went past the info panel on the dash showed a speed limit sign with 100 in the middle. After the truck past, the sign changed to "no overtaking begins". After maybe 30 seconds it all went back to normal.
Back home I found on page 3-41 details of the dual sensor and when it doesn't work properly and we believe that it was the passing truck that triggered the alarm but we don't know how.
Any comments?

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Nov 2021 06:29 #240167 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Now that's an oddball.
This demonstrates my concern that the technology in the new Jimny is simply not robust enough and confirms my bias that I was correct in buying a late gen3. As for why it would do that, were there any speed stickers on the back of the wagon that could have confused it?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Nov 2021 08:58 - 18 Nov 2021 09:00 #240169 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Now that's an oddball.
The camera/lidar read the signs on the back of the truck. It would have had the speed restriction symbols ( in km/hour) and a no overtaking (undertaking) sign on the rear of the trailer

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 18 Nov 2021 09:00 by mlines.

More
18 Nov 2021 10:02 #240170 by Roger Fairclough
Thank you both for your answers. Yes, the truck did have rear mounted speed symbols. There is a whole load of "instances when the system fails" in the handbook, but no mention of being overtaken by a truck.

Roger

More
18 Nov 2021 10:39 #240171 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Now that's an oddball.

This demonstrates my concern that the technology in the new Jimny is simply not robust enough and confirms my bias that I was correct in buying a late gen3. As for why it would do that, were there any speed stickers on the back of the wagon that could have confused it?
I don't think there is any 'concern'. It is only an info panel on the dash and is unobtrusive and does nothing else.

Buying a Gen 3 is fine, they are awesome vehicles. But doing so on the sole basis of the 'technology' of the 4th Gen seems rather odd to me.

More
18 Nov 2021 11:57 #240172 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Now that's an oddball.

I don't think there is any 'concern'. It is only an info panel on the dash and is unobtrusive and does nothing else.

Buying a Gen 3 is fine, they are awesome vehicles. But doing so on the sole basis of the 'technology' of the 4th Gen seems rather odd to me.
Its not odd to me. The vehicle prior to my Jimny was a tech laden VW, this tech was always acting up or crying wolf. It actually did nothing of real benefit for me, I am quite capable of checking type pressures / reading signs / checking bulbs etc.
It got so bad that in the end I just wanted rid of the thing and the remit was a tech free replacement, the Jimny fitted perfectly being a "new" old design.
I was a little saddened by the introduction of some of these gizmos on the high spec G4, still cant see a need for them,  but I am aware some of this is driven by nanny regulations.
Sadly its only going to get worse and of course will eventually require an app, another thing that makes me shout at the TV 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
18 Nov 2021 12:03 #240173 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Now that's an oddball.
There is no concern over these indications which I deem to be "driver assist" ie. "Did you see this roadsign?" at the moment they do not take control of the driving (until the EU steps in with its speed limiter regulations)

However the one that does interfere is the obstacle detection. If the Jimny computer thinks it sees a pedestrian etc. it first makes a loud song and dance on the dashboard and then decides to apply the brakes. This can be "interesting" when driving and it gets it wrong.

Anecdotally this is worse on our original 4 seater Gen4 than it is on our new Gen4 LCV so perhaps there has been some software tuning.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
18 Nov 2021 12:07 #240174 by Roger Fairclough
Yes Scimike, that is very true. I turn off as much off the techno do this do that as I can and I just tolerate the ones I can't. Vivs Audi Q3 has an electronic handbrake. You need seat belts on, all doors closed and steering in the straight ahead before it will release and let you drive on.

Roger

More
18 Nov 2021 13:05 #240176 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Now that's an oddball.
You can turn off the speed recognition in the menu.

More
18 Nov 2021 13:05 #240177 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Now that's an oddball.
My Sat Nav tells the road speed, even warns me if I am speeding, hardly ever in my Jimny. It's fine as long as I update the database when the road speed changes.

Fortunately, it will do this when it connects to the home wifi.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Nov 2021 13:22 #240179 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Now that's an oddball.
My objection is not so much the actual technology as much as I don't think it works reliably enough yet. There is a saying; to err is human, to mess things up completely you do need a computer. I'm sure I'm not alone in being able to point to dozens of instances in life where something has been designed by someone in an office with no meaningful real world experience and the product or service is useless because of it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Nov 2021 16:47 #240183 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Now that's an oddball.

Its not odd to me. The vehicle prior to my Jimny was a tech laden VW, this tech was always acting up or crying wolf. It actually did nothing of real benefit for me, I am quite capable of checking type pressures / reading signs / checking bulbs etc.
It got so bad that in the end I just wanted rid of the thing and the remit was a tech free replacement, the Jimny fitted perfectly being a "new" old design.
I was a little saddened by the introduction of some of these gizmos on the high spec G4, still cant see a need for them,  but I am aware some of this is driven by nanny regulations.
Sadly its only going to get worse and of course will eventually require an app, another thing that makes me shout at the TV 

There isn't really much tech on the 4th Gen though and certainly not on all specs.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds