BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Stainless Steel Spare Wheel Cover

• Whiteheadge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2021 10:31 #239467 by Whiteheadge
Stainless Steel Spare Wheel Cover was created by Whiteheadge
Hi All, I’m a bit embarrassed to ask this question, but rather than take a spanner / screwdriver to it thought I’d save the blushes.
The spare wheel on my jimny has a silver stainless steel wheel cover, it appears to be fastened at the bottom by a key lock, but I don’t  have a key for this and the ignition key doesn’t fit. 
So question is how do I remove it, I’m assuming it’s not just a case of using the wheel wrench?

Thanks and again sorry for the dumb question.

Geoff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2021 12:43 - 17 Oct 2021 12:44 #239474 by Scimike
Hi 
Is this a Gen 3 or Gen 4 Jimny?
As far as I am aware the G3 never had a full stainless steel cover as standard which means it likely to be aftermarket. If this is true and it's like the other aftermarket units have seen, no key = time to break the lock.
This assumes you can't get at the wheel nuts as it totally enclosed.
If you can deflate the tyre it "may" be possible to prise it over the tyre, but swearing is likely to be involved.
I believe the G4 has a cover, but not sure how it's held in place.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 17 Oct 2021 12:44 by Scimike.

More
17 Oct 2021 14:31 - 17 Oct 2021 14:34 #239476 by Gadget
There should be a separate key for the cover lock. Not sure if you've got a Suzuki OEM or aftermarket one, but this is what my lock looked like on mine.

I ended up drilling out the rivets and replacing with a galvanised hasp and staple, as the stock lock was junk.

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Oct 2021 14:34 by Gadget.

More
18 Oct 2021 09:28 #239492 by Busta
If there is a number or code written on the lock barrel it would be worth paying your local locksmiths a visit. Numbered keys for small locks are usually pretty cheap.

• Whiteheadge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2021 16:18 #239504 by Whiteheadge
Replied by Whiteheadge on topic Stainless Steel Spare Wheel Cover
Yes it was OEM - Jimny Adventure, can’t for the life of me find another key for mine :-(.

• Whiteheadge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2021 16:32 #239507 by Whiteheadge
Replied by Whiteheadge on topic Stainless Steel Spare Wheel Cover
Stop the press - found it, and gadget, I couldn’t agree more with you, I had actually tried the right key but lock was so rusty I had assumed wrong one. Lots of wd40 and it finally gave. But thanks for all the help, it gave me confidence to try again.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds