BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Lockers

• Jemjem
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2021 01:12 #239412 by Jemjem
Lockers was created by Jemjem
Hey everyone!  I have a 2014 Jimny and I'm wondering what everyone's experience with lockers are?  Are they worth getting and if so, what kind did you get and what was your approx cost?
The topic has been locked.
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Oct 2021 04:53 #239415 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Lockers
Notwithstanding the fairly monstrous cost of a pair of arb air lockers and compressor and fitting I would have a double locked Jimny in a heartbeat, coupled with some appropriate tyres it would be essentially unstoppable. However at a cost of potentially 2 to 2.5 grand I'm happy to wait, for now.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages, Jemjem
More
15 Oct 2021 06:43 #239417 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Lockers
Definitely worthwhile if you regularly drive in places where your wheels come off the ground.
ARB air lockers are arguably the best but also the most expensive option.
Chinese ARB copies are available that will save a few hundred pounds.
X Shock Dakar make and electric locking rear diff that is also a torsen LSD. This is around £700 and doesn't need a compressor to run so cheaper to install. When not a locked diff, it still gives you the traction advantages of a limited slip diff so it's a really good option and the one I'd go for.
Then you have "automatic" lockers like the Kaiser locker and Lockright. These fundamentally change how the diff works, making it better for traction off-road but not so good for road driving. They are sensitive to how they are installed and can be quite crude in operation.
Lastly you have the option of welding the diffs. It's cheap and dirty but very effective off-road. Most people weld the rear but that does impact on-road driving and reduce manoeuvrability. I have welded my front diff. It's made the Jimny a monster off-road without affecting day-to-day 2wd driving. I also have a Quaife LSD in the rear, but that's not a locker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jemjem
More
15 Oct 2021 09:27 #239418 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Lockers

Hey everyone!  I have a 2014 Jimny and I'm wondering what everyone's experience with lockers are?  Are they worth getting and if so, what kind did you get and what was your approx cost?
Slightly opposing the two views above. But I'd say it depends.

As in depends on where you will be driving, how often and what you are trying to achieve.

Lockers provide many benefits. But also some downsides, such as a poor turning circle when engaged. Require manual intervention on when to use them or more importantly, when not to use them. And are only suitable for use in certain situations. It is also probably true that much of the time you wouldn't actually 'need' them to conquer the terrain you are on.

Unless you are rock crawling where you want no wheel slip to engage your traction adders. I think an ATB setup is likely a better compromise, especially when combined with traction control. This would then be a passive system requiring no user intervention at all for it to work, it wouldn't impact your turning circle and would offer benefits on all surfaces, including when in 2wd on the road.

But as said, it really does depend. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jemjem
More
15 Oct 2021 09:34 #239419 by 300bhpton

I have welded my front diff. It's made the Jimny a monster off-road without affecting day-to-day 2wd driving. I also have a Quaife LSD in the rear, but that's not a locker.

Not knocking this or anything, but I can't understand the physics of how it isn't impacting day 2 day use? The idea of a diff is to allow opposing wheels to travel at different speeds, such as when cornering. A welded diff would completely prevent this, either inducing wheel bouncing/slip and understeer. Or a complete resistance through the steering wheel to want to change direction.
More
15 Oct 2021 11:17 #239420 by Busta
In 2wd the front diff is completely isolated from the transmission and road wheels, so the fact it is permanently locked makes no difference whatsoever to road driving.
More
15 Oct 2021 11:51 #239422 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Lockers

In 2wd the front diff is completely isolated from the transmission and road wheels, so the fact it is permanently locked makes no difference whatsoever to road driving.
Both front wheels are connected to each other and must be turning at the same speed, allowing no differential..... It has to cause tyre scrub when cornering.... 

sniper
More
15 Oct 2021 11:54 #239423 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Lockers
I'm guessing Busta has the front hubs disengaged ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper, lookonimages
More
15 Oct 2021 12:12 #239425 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Lockers

Soeley Wrote:
I'm guessing Busta has the front hubs disengaged ?

Yup

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
More
15 Oct 2021 12:25 #239426 by Busta
Yes the front vacuum hubs are disengaged when in 2wd. I have a separate switch so I can engage and disengage them as I please. Lots of people can't get their heads around it, but it's an incredibly capable setup for a daily driver. It's also a lot more manoeuvrable than a with a welded rear diff, but it does require some careful thought about when to use it.
More
15 Oct 2021 12:53 #239427 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Lockers
very interesting and thanks for sharing Busta.

Never crossed my mind, but then also admit never investigated diff locks as the gen 4 is very capable now with its allgrip traction control.

so yes I think it largely depends on a person's usage of jimny.

for the 2% overlanding / gravel roads usage I cannot see any reason to get diff locks ever. but the other guy that use his jimny 98% driving obstacles and doing rock crawling might have different opinion on diff locks.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
More
15 Oct 2021 14:05 #239430 by 300bhpton

Yes the front vacuum hubs are disengaged when in 2wd. I have a separate switch so I can engage and disengage them as I please. Lots of people can't get their heads around it, but it's an incredibly capable setup for a daily driver. It's also a lot more manoeuvrable than a with a welded rear diff, but it does require some careful thought about when to use it.
Thanks. Was completely forgetting about the freewheel hubs. Don't have such things on coil sprung Land Rovers.

I guess the only downside here is. You can't run 4wd (driving the front wheels) without having the front diff locked. Which will impact steering/turning circle.
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds