BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:GEN4 Security are you prepared?

More
13 Oct 2021 08:16 #239358 by Foxtrot
Just something to think about, my daughters house has just been broken into during the night by drilling out the PVC door lock in order to locate the car keys and steel their car. The JB74 is reaching silly money and they have become incredibly desirable. Before its too late think consider a few things that may make them think twice, revisit your home security, put old fashioned steering/wheel locks on the car. Will your insurance cover the loss, standard insurance will not consider that they are going up in value they will just look at the list price and calculate its depreciation. If you have GAP insurance will it cover the extra 50% increase that they are now making?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2021 13:39 #239372 by lookonimages

Foxtrot wrote: Just something to think about, my daughters house has just been broken into during the night by drilling out the PVC door lock in order to locate the car keys and steel their car. The JB74 is reaching silly money and they have become incredibly desirable. Before its too late think consider a few things that may make them think twice, revisit your home security, put old fashioned steering/wheel locks on the car. Will your insurance cover the loss, standard insurance will not consider that they are going up in value they will just look at the list price and calculate its depreciation. If you have GAP insurance will it cover the extra 50% increase that they are now making?

technology forcing people to get new ways of stealing cars. no more break window, hot wire a car. now they start breaking into homes to get key and then just drive off with it.

Breaking into homes now bring a new dimension to this whole scenario.

seen a British program on road police and they mention it many times that that is the way they now start stealing cars, from first breaking into homes to get keys.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
13 Oct 2021 15:28 #239376 by Foxtrot
The keys were in a faraday pouch so they probably couldn't use a signal booster. 

More
13 Oct 2021 19:50 - 13 Oct 2021 20:02 #239385 by lightning
That's bad news. Was the Jimny stolen or did the thieves not succeed?
lf it was stolen you should post the details on here, so we can look out for it, as it's quite a rare vehicle and also distinctive.

Correct me if l am wrong but,
You can't steal a Jimny by grabbing the key code, as you need to put  the actual key in the car's ignition to start it.
Whereas with something like a Range Rover, the physical key is not needed.
lf you look online, an Autocar report says that "the new Jimny is the worst on test" as the "keyless entry/start is insecure"
 But the Jimny doesn't have keyless start?

Last edit: 13 Oct 2021 20:02 by lightning.

More
13 Oct 2021 20:20 #239387 by Foxtrot
No it wasn't my car that was stolen, it was my daughters BMW who lives opposite me. They stole their car by breaking into the house for the keys. It's just a bit of a heads up to make sure you are all have enough security in place to deter any car thieves.. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
13 Oct 2021 21:21 - 13 Oct 2021 21:22 #239388 by lightning
Oh sorry l misread your post, l thought they'd tried to steal a Jimny!

I think the Autocar Jimny report must be the Australian version or something, because the U.K. model doesn't have keyless start, also it has locking wheel nuts, and an alarm, which the report says it "didn't have"
Last edit: 13 Oct 2021 21:22 by lightning.

More
14 Oct 2021 06:39 #239393 by Bill Portland
Re the insurance questions, most insurers will give market or replacement value so if you can show how much a similar replacement will cost to buy they should cover it. Get a Webuyanycar valuation regularly. Check auto trader adverts too. It doesn't hurt to ring your insurer and tell about the increase. Mine (directline) covers any value up to £75k without any increase in premium. Gap insurance will only pay out what you paid for the car.

More
14 Oct 2021 07:13 - 14 Oct 2021 07:18 #239394 by lightning
Good advice

You do need to call your insurance company to check, with Adrian Flux for instance the most they will pay out is the value you put on it when you took out the policy!
I called them and changed it from £24,000 to £28,000

I had to pay £25 for the "mid term policy change"
Think l will go back to Direct Line on renewal.

We've also got Gap lnsurance for the purchase cost but that's a waste of time now, as values have gone up so much and no insurance company could argue a 2020 Jimny down to the Gap lnsurance £24,000

So l need to call them today as well and see if it's possible to change it, l believe you can get Gap lnsurance for "replacement cost" rather than ours which is "lnvoice amount" or purchase price.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2021 07:18 by lightning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxtrot

More
15 Oct 2021 15:31 #239432 by lightning
Gap insurance can't be for any more than the invoice price, so currently a waste of time on the Jimny, unless you paid £26,000+

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds