BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny "stutter" in low gears

• Bishop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2021 14:21 #238936 by Bishop
Jimny "stutter" in low gears was created by Bishop
Hi everybody, I have a 2007 Jimny in tip top condition. However, the last two weeks it developed a slight "stutter/hesitation" on occasion when having to stop start (especially up hill in traffic). It happens when you move from 1st to 2nd gear, feels like it cannot get power when stepping on the petrol pedal, stutters, then suddenly shoots off. I have switched back to super unleaded petrol and put some Redex in the tank, not curing it. I took it to Suzuki this morning, but they cannot find the problem. Sparkplugs are good. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thank U's. Steph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2021 17:57 - 25 Sep 2021 18:05 #238940 by Scimike
Hi
To be honest it's almost impossible to be sure what the cause is, but based on the Jimny "most likely" list it's possible it's the camshaft sensor starting to fail when hot. You can eliminate this by cooling it with water (tip some over it) when the problem is present, if it improves then this is the issue. 
Coil packs can do the same, unfortunately it's a swap and see situation.
The list goes on,but start by checking the cam sensor. I believe its at the back of the engine, Martin excellent video helps locate them.

Also check all the sensor connections are good and free from corrosion. Start with the easy and cheap stuff first.
If you think it's the sensor Martin's good for the parts, follow link to shop above.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 25 Sep 2021 18:05 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
26 Sep 2021 20:50 #238965 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Jimny "stutter" in low gears
Sounds like it could be an O2 sensor fault. Mixed messages from the sensor cause the ecu to momentarily get confused before reverting to a default fuel map.

More
27 Sep 2021 14:12 #238981 by DrRobin
What is your battery like? My other car has had a strange misfire (after deceleration then when applying power at lowish revs), swaps round the cylinders, like your problem the list of possible problems is endless, so I tried Redex and better fuel, but it has been there on and off for several weeks, stated after it was in the garage to have new CATs fitted (and subsequently new O2 sensors).

I took the battery out, fully charged it on a maintainer and went for run yesterday (with a bend guaranteed to get a misfire every time), misfire completely gone. The battery was good enough to crank the motor and run fine, showing 14v when running, but the ignition or fuel pump must have been dropping the voltage (dips or spikes) and confusing the ecu.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds