BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Starter motor wiring

• Samthejimnyfan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2021 13:32 #238930 by Samthejimnyfan
Starter motor wiring was created by Samthejimnyfan
After some help please. Has anyone a photo of the wiring going to the solenoid on the starter motor? We're rebuilding the engine install having put the M16a engine in and we didn't take enough photos. When we go to connect the earth lead to the battery having connected the live, we get sparks. No fuses blow. But i'm concerned we have something not right in the wiring. And I suspect it's the starter wiring.

We have the large feed coming in from the battery to the solenoid. Near to that connection are three or four smaller black wires with brass/copper ring connectors on the end. To all intents and purposes they look like they fit to the same post on the solenoid as the battery feed so we fitted them to the pole. I cant see anywhere else that they could fit but I wanted to check.

On another note I cant find anywhere workshop manuals or wiring diagrams for a jimny (2006 MY). Has anyone any links etc.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2021 23:50 #238934 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Starter motor wiring

To all intents and purposes they look like they fit to the same post on the solenoid as the battery feed so we fitted them to the pole. 

They don't - the only thing that goes on the starter solenoid lug is the battery feed.

• Samthejimnyfan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2021 10:56 #238935 by Samthejimnyfan
Replied by Samthejimnyfan on topic Starter motor wiring
Thanks.

In which case, can anyone assist me where these wires go?

They are in the same part of the loom as the battery feed and the starter solenoid wire from the ignition.

Really stuck at the moment so any help will be gratefully received.

Thank you
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
25 Sep 2021 14:52 - 25 Sep 2021 14:53 #238937 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Starter motor wiring
They are both negative wires. i can even see the shiny bolt hole where they go onto the engine block in your picture, just above the clutch cable, or they might go on one of the bolts that holds the starter in place. Either would work.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 25 Sep 2021 14:53 by Riccy.

• Samthejimnyfan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2021 21:28 #238948 by Samthejimnyfan
Replied by Samthejimnyfan on topic Starter motor wiring
Thank you. Connected to the block and now working fine.

M16a makes such a difference. Still a few things to sort like a cranky starter solenoid. But already very pleased with the conversion.

More
03 Oct 2022 15:48 #245293 by Bigredjimny
Replied by Bigredjimny on topic Starter motor wiring
I know it’s a silly question, but we’re exactly did you put the small earths mate?
I’m having the exact same issue with my m16a swap now, cheers :)

More
03 Oct 2022 18:36 #245297 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Starter motor wiring
Any bolt on the bell housing will do.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds