BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Electrifying?

More
14 Sep 2021 21:03 #238613 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Electrifying?

Lambert, I would wait as long as possible then pick up a Gen 4 or commercial and put it in a barn until Temeraire gives up the ghost. Best get a big petrol tank as well.

Petrol will be widely available until at least 2030 ~ 2035 after that it depends on demand, if that falls then less places will sell it.

The future for electric is not that great, the UK doesn't produce enough electricity for everyone to move to an electric vehicle, solar and wind is no good at night with no wind and storage is a very real problem. The only solution there is nuclear, but they take years to build and it is too late now. Plus much of our existing nuclear is coming to end of life and we needed to be replacing this 20 years ago.

Forget hydrogen as well, it is mostly produced from sea water, using electricity and is hard to distribute. I guess you could use the existing gas network, but everyone will have to change their bolier.

There is a real danger we are been taken back to log fires, or you could get a field of solar panels, a couple of wind turbines and as many old car batteries you can lay your hands on.

The old bright side for you, farm vehicles are probably exempt from the ban. Think I will re-register my Porsche as a tractor.
I was watching a programme recently and in Holland when there is lots of solar and wind energy being generated and there's nowhere else for the electricity to go its dumped into the electric car grid and in cities roof top solar is put into the electric car grid. and i think its free . 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2021 21:09 #238614 by Dirtbird
There's so much space under the fuel tank you could put in a massive battery and keep it a single cab . The lads in Shropshire Quads might be the first to bring an electric Jimny Kit.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Sep 2021 04:31 #238618 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Electrifying?
I think if I were specifying a conversion I'd probably go for a high speed motor and just drive the transfer box directly which would allow enough space to place batteries front of rear to maintain the weight distribution while having the capacity for a 300 mile range, all of which is possible with available technologies. I just wouldn't want to diy it as that level of electricity engineering is beyond my skill set.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Sep 2021 07:34 #238622 by Dirtbird
Agree Lambert there'd be enough juice in them batteries to light up a village 

More
16 Sep 2021 20:06 #238678 by Soeley

More
16 Sep 2021 20:16 #238680 by Dirtbird
I'm telling ye it's going to happen.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Sep 2021 20:44 #238683 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Electrifying?
That pickman would be perfect if it were road legal and retained the 3000kg tow limit. Though I would need the longest range battery option.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds