BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Finding Aftermarket Rims

• CaptG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2021 16:26 #238525 by CaptG
Finding Aftermarket Rims was created by CaptG
Big hello to my Jimny Family

i need your help on finding some options for aftermarket rims for my JB74. What are the brands out there selling 16” rims for the JB74. I don’t want the fitted rims to stick out beyond the fenders so I need to correct width and offset. 
The problem is I bought a set of Raceline rims last week, 16x8 with 0 offset and it still sticks out beyond my fenders, so I am returning them. 

I want to go 16s, so what width and offset do I need to achieve what I stated earlier?

racelinewheels.com/collections/truck-suv/products/950b-gauge

the one in the link is what I am returning. 

Awaiting your expert response 

captg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2021 21:41 #238533 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Finding Aftermarket Rims
The offset is going to be determined by the width of the rim you choose - you can choose any width (within reason) and then work out the offset you need - the OEM rims are a 5.5 x 15 with an offset of 5mm, you could choose a 5.5 x 16 with an offset of 5mm and they would sit in exactly the same place relative to the fender.

How wide a rim do you want/need?

More
13 Sep 2021 08:51 #238543 by lookonimages

CaptG wrote: Big hello to my Jimny Family

i need your help on finding some options for aftermarket rims for my JB74. What are the brands out there selling 16” rims for the JB74. I don’t want the fitted rims to stick out beyond the fenders so I need to correct width and offset. 
The problem is I bought a set of Raceline rims last week, 16x8 with 0 offset and it still sticks out beyond my fenders, so I am returning them. 

I want to go 16s, so what width and offset do I need to achieve what I stated earlier?

racelinewheels.com/collections/truck-suv/products/950b-gauge

the one in the link is what I am returning. 

Awaiting your expert response 

captg

Look at jimny style.
Most of their aftermarket rims are for jimnies specific.

You should get an offset of -5, as that is the standard offset.

jimnystyle.com/collections/wheels

On tyre selection you will see all their options in offset.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
13 Sep 2021 08:54 - 13 Sep 2021 08:56 #238544 by lookonimages

fordem wrote: The offset is going to be determined by the width of the rim you choose - you can choose any width (within reason) and then work out the offset you need - the OEM rims are a 5.5 x 15 with an offset of 5mm, you could choose a 5.5 x 16 with an offset of 5mm and they would sit in exactly the same place relative to the fender.

How wide a rim do you want/need?

Offset is not determined by width. Offset is determined the value of central section of rim in relation to the outside rim

In this case all 3 rims same width, but all 3 have different offsets.

Last edit: 13 Sep 2021 08:56 by lookonimages.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Sep 2021 12:09 #238553 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Finding Aftermarket Rims
All Jimny factory wheels are positive 5mm offset or et5.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Sep 2021 14:17 #238557 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Finding Aftermarket Rims
The wider the tyre (205 x 215 v 225 etc) will determine how far out it will stick out and therefore determine the offset. As others have already said Jimny Style have a good guide and some photos of their own JB74 on 16" rims with BFGs, one of their links shown below.

jimnystyle.com/pages/suzuki-jimny-2018-modifying-guide

The following link has a great table of offsets and tyre sizes for different tyre widths, so this might help.

www.jimnybits.com/suzuki-16-black-7-modular-steel-wheel1.html

If you go 16" wheels and fairly wide tyres, check that they will fit without a suspension lift, unless you are already lifting the vehicle. Jimny Style page shows what will fit without a lift kit.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
13 Sep 2021 18:01 - 13 Sep 2021 18:04 #238569 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Re:Finding Aftermarket Rims

Offset is not determined by width. Offset is determined the value of central section of rim in relation to the outside rim

Maybe that was poorly worded - I'll restate it for you.

The offset YOU need will be determined by the width of the rim YOU choose.

As the width of the rim increases, the offset needs to be adjusted (in this case increased) to compensate or the outer edge of the rim will protrude beyond the fender
Last edit: 13 Sep 2021 18:04 by fordem. Reason: Clarity

More
14 Sep 2021 11:53 #238596 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Finding Aftermarket Rims

The wider the tyre (205 x 215 v 225 etc) will determine how far out it will stick out and therefore determine the offset.

This is not incorrect, but it's also not quite correct.

The width of the tire is to some extent dependent on the width of the rim, and as I've said before the width of the rim chosen will determine the offset required to stay within the fender.

Every tire manufacturer has a spec chart that lists a range of rim widths for any given tire - for example a 225 tire can be used on a rim between 6.0~7.5 inches, a 215 can be used with 5.5~7.0 inch, and a 205 can be used on a 5.0~7.0 inch rim - these numbers by the way came from General Tire's web page, and are specific to the General Grabber A/TX.

My JB74 came with 15x5.5 rims with 195/80R15 tires, switching to a 215 on the OEM rims (the widest tire that rim can take) will have the inner edge of the tire sitting 10mm further inwards, at the same time as the outer edge will be 10mm further out - I estimate the OEM tire is almost an inch (25mm) inside the edge of the fender, so a 215 will still be covered.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds