BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Inflating assist

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Sep 2021 16:05 #238429 by Lambert
Inflating assist was created by Lambert
Whatcha. I'm looking at a tyre inflation system for away from base. Needs to be compact, simple, efficient, robust, flexible and lightweight. Lightweight is the biggest part then efficient I don't want to be lugging around a monster that could fill a tractor tyre in 30 seconds but equally my small bore stirrup pump is a lot of time and effort. Not too fussed about how it's powered but it would be nice if it didn't have to be plugged in so it could do trailer tyres. Recommend me something. 

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2021 16:21 #238430 by RumbleAndSway
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
10 Sep 2021 16:44 #238431 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Inflating assist
What about something like  THIS  , guessing you have a compressor on the farm to keep it charged? Might be too heavy though,  but should be more than durable enough once strapped down.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Sep 2021 17:29 #238432 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Inflating assist
That falls into the might as well bring the compressor category. Nice idea but...

More
10 Sep 2021 17:34 #238433 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Inflating assist
www.screwfix.com/p/ring-heavy-duty-profe...compressor-12v/2183r

Seems rather expensive though, and will still take ages. I have what looks like the identical pump that came from Maplins for about £20 in one of their many sales. Definitely faster than those ones that are a huge plastic case, the finned aluminium actually does get hot.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
11 Sep 2021 08:38 #238456 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Inflating assist
I got one of the small RAC inflators as it fits in one of the rear cubbyholes.

www.screwfix.com/p/rac-compact-air-compr...CTQsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=

I also got one of these Xmas before last
www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/diy/equipment/car-...3EAQYASABEgKJKvD_BwE

The battery is big enough to pump up two maybe three tyres from flat, but easily tops up all tyres. Just dial in the pressure you want, press the trigger, it stops when it is done, you can get on with something else. It’s a good deal quieter than others I own.

The pressure gauge is reasonably accurate and if the battery goes flat it has a 12v cigar plug lead and mains charger.

I reckon it’s excellent, the missus uses it more than me so it must be good.

I paid about £24 so shop around.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
11 Sep 2021 08:46 #238458 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Inflating assist
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIf you ended up with a 12v corded, I suggest one of these

I bought one to fill my boat tyres and buoyancy bags before going cordless.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
11 Sep 2021 09:10 #238464 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Inflating assist
This would depend on what you really need. One the most important features of a compressor is the duty cycle, i.e. how long within a given time the compressor may be switched on. If you have to just to up some tires or if you have more time basically a low cost compressor will do. If you have to fill a lot, you might want to go for a more professional one, e.g., one from Viaair. They are much more expensive but you can operate then for much longer in one go.

My other car has 235/85/16 and when I have to fill them from 0.9 bar to 2.6 I have to use a more professional one because the cheap ones have to „rest“.

More
11 Sep 2021 09:12 #238465 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Inflating assist
I bought the middle of the range ring inflator from screwfix . The description of having a metal casing is what sold it to me.

I've used it for a couple of years and it stays in the SZ5 storage box.

It's ok, but all things being equal it doesn't feel like £70's worth.

In the past I've had a couple of the foot pumps and I think three of the plastic cased inflators, all of which have broken...

If it were me, buying one again, I would buy an aldi or a lidl's special for less money and replace it when it breaks. Not how I usually like doing things, but ones that are built to last aren't affordable.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
11 Sep 2021 09:27 #238466 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Inflating assist
Value for money is a good thing and I accept that durable usually excludes cheap. I used to have a twin cylinder metal frame foot pump which was excellent because it was old and serviceable but I lost track of it along the way. Most similar things are now disposable as I suspect are most of the mass market electric inflation pumps. So far it's looking like the makita but only because I have some of their batteries.

More
11 Sep 2021 14:24 #238468 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Inflating assist
I think the Makita would have a duty cycle of 5min and 50% so inflate for 5min and the wait for 5min.

More
11 Sep 2021 14:59 #238469 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Inflating assist

That falls into the might as well bring the compressor category. Nice idea but...
Well I wouldn't like to carry my 160ltr 3hp compressor around just to pump up my tyres 

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds