BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tow bar installation

More
05 Sep 2021 20:32 - 05 Sep 2021 20:35 #238253 by lightning
Has anyone installed the Suzuki genuine tow bar themselves, on a Gen 4?

l found an issue with the two long bolts that go through the chassis rails.

Each bolt has a spacer to go inside the chassis rail, so you don't squash the chassis when you tighten them to the recommended 120Nm

The instructions are poor, but appear to show a washer fitted along with the spacer, inside the chassis rail on the outer face where the nut is tightened.

However there is no way that this washer will fit inside the chassis rail, as the spacer only just fits and has to be tapped in.

Problem is, the holes in the chassis are a bit larger than the bolt, so when you tighten it the spacer bites into the chassis and starts to crush the metal around the hole.

In order to stop this from happening, the washer needs to be in place(between spacer and chassis)

What did l do wrong here? l've still got four washers left over. 
ls the spacer supposed to crush its way through the chassis around the hole? lt would do if you tightened it to 120Nm without washers fitted.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2021 20:35 by lightning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2021 20:47 #238254 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Tow bar installation
Diagram from manual. Washers arrowed.

Attachments:

More
05 Sep 2021 20:53 #238255 by Roger Fairclough
The internal spacers have lengths of wire welded to them to help you locate them. There aren't any washers on the inside as they wont fit.. The holes in the rails have to be larger but the fit is normal.. From memory the bracket on the nearside does not have a spacer on the outside of the rail.

What type of washers are left over.

If I get a chance, I will get under the motor and have a look but tomorrow is my wedding anniversary and her indoors would take a dim view of it.

Roger

More
05 Sep 2021 21:00 #238256 by lightning
lt's the spacers that go inside the chassis rail. When you tighten the long bolts, the spacers seem to bite into the chassis.
Maybe it's designed to do that in order to make a right fit that can't move at all.
It's possible the washers are extras as l bought the tow bar second hand.

These are the spacers l am referring to, they go inside the chassis rails.

Attachments:

More
05 Sep 2021 21:04 #238257 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Tow bar installation
Judging by the dimensions shown in the picture the "washers" are in fact the spacers.

More
05 Sep 2021 21:14 - 05 Sep 2021 21:14 #238258 by lightning
It appears you are correct, thank you!

It shows washers but the dimensions are that of a spacer.
l guess you just fit them and tighten it all
up, and it crushes the chassis rail by a small amount.
l must have received some extra washers, which threw me.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2021 21:14 by lightning.

More
07 Sep 2021 12:09 #238314 by Roger Fairclough
Oop's, my mistake, its the captive nuts that have the manoeuvering rods welded to them.

So n/side has a pair of captive nuts held within the chassis rail, a distance piece, two fixing bolts that clamp the bracket to the c/rail via the captive nuts and a long bolt that clamps the bracket horizontally through the distance piece finishing with a waisted nut.

Offside is the same except for the fat distance piece that goes between bracket and c/rail.

All bolts are 10.9 strength rating.

It's best to tighten all bolts a bit at a time until the bracket is snug onto the rail. Then apply final torque as per instructions.

Because it is a fully welded design, and therefore ungainly and heavy, I found a trolley jack useful to aid manhandling.

Roger

More
07 Sep 2021 12:17 #238316 by Roger Fairclough
From memory I removed the silencer box. Two bolts and a jiggle to slip the rubbers off and it will all become clear.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds