BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Is it worth Saving

• murphyclan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2021 12:58 #238237 by murphyclan
Is it worth Saving was created by murphyclan
Hi and thank you for letting me join, ok my daughter bought a 2001 Jimny away at the beginning of the year, she soon found out after running it for a few months she couldn’t afford to run 2 vehicles on an apprentice wage, so we bought it off her. Now MOT time has just past, and I knew it needed a bit of welding on the driver’s side rear, so yesterday into the barn it went, and the plastic trim came off and well it’s a horror show under there as you can see from the pictures. Now it is a good wee motor the chassis is solid (unlike the landy chassis in the background) and it runs like a dream and all the running gear is sound as well, so I am in two minds what to do, I either break it for parts or I take my time and get all the welding done, it looks like I will have to fabricate the wheel arch part that the plastic clips onto as I can’t seem to any online. So has anyone repaired a Jimny that has rotted at the backend like this and if so what should I look out for, any suggestion are most welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Sep 2021 13:28 #238239 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Is it worth Saving
Welcome to the forum. If you have the skills and time to do it then go for it. Though another alternative would be to make it into a pickup which is probably not that much more work. I certainly wouldn't scrap it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Sep 2021 13:48 #238240 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Is it worth Saving
They can get quite "involved" take the interior trims out and have a gander in there....attached a picture of what I'd say is the worst one I've repaired.

If you're used to doing big jobs you'll be fine.
Attachments:

More
05 Sep 2021 14:01 #238243 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Is it worth Saving
Convert it to a Dutton

Sent from my motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
05 Sep 2021 14:37 #238244 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Is it worth Saving
Having just gone through this in one way or another - YES, if you have patience and access to some tools. 

Some pictures of what I went through... rear outer arches, inner arches and rear panel under the boot.

Learnt a lot, would most definitely do it differently now knowing what I have learnt and it was "fun" if you're into that kind of thing!

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds