BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Looks like the gen3 could yet become the fastest car on the road!

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Sep 2021 06:56 #238220 by Lambert
Just had this come up on a news feed www.autotrader.co.uk/content/news/mandat...on-uk-cars-from-2022 there is also further reading available hinting that it may be retrospective for cars with the technology required. 

Personally I worry that the technology is not working well enough yet and it could cause more problems than it attempts to solve especially if it fails to differentiate the speed difference between a motorway and a parallel urban road like Google maps often does. It also removes another level of responsibility from the average driver because we all know most people will just plant their foot and let it sit on the limiter.

Not convinced. 

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2021 08:49 #238225 by Soeley
Also withe the speed sign recognition camera, my Jimny picks up the 20 "when lights flashing" in school zones, even if they aren't flashing, so those could me changes to dot matrix signs so they only show the limit when actually in use.
Also, mine sometimes picks up the speed limit painted on to the back of vans, so you could be in a 30 zone and car picks up a much higher speed.

More
05 Sep 2021 09:09 #238228 by Dan
I switched the road sign recognition off on mine.

It was quite glitchy.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Sep 2021 09:13 #238229 by Lambert
Exactly. It's also going to create much more elephant racing on motorways as 2 or 3 cars with slightly different calibration of the speedo attempt to crawl past each other with a half mile an hour discrepancy. A better way of improving road safety would be to make the testing for licensing more stringent and relevant to modern driving conditions.

More
05 Sep 2021 09:42 #238232 by Gadget
Sounds great. The area I live in is inundated with average speed cameras, so I'm not exaggerating when I say that I use the manual speed limiter every day. Having one which automatically sets the speed limit would be awesome.

More
05 Sep 2021 11:15 #238233 by Soeley
I have never used the cruise control but like the speed limiter on the motorway, I prefer to keep some control with feathering the throttle to match the traffic.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Sep 2021 11:45 #238234 by Lambert
Another thing that worries me is TED, time exposed to danger. It's inevitable that people are going to attempt overtake manoeuvres and run into the limiter instead of being able to power past which is one of the main reasons for near misses round us,if they run out of speed half way through it is all going to get messy. And then there is the issue of those who think that because it's a 60mph zone that is a safe speed to be traveling, they'll be sat on the limiter on the straight blissfully unaware of the twisties ahead but it won't be their fault when they crash because the limit was 60 and that's what they were doing. Yes I am that cynical and hold the driving public in such low regard.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds