BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Towing a caravan

More
09 Sep 2021 11:34 #238387 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Towing a caravan

If a mechanic said it it must be true! 
yeah belive ..........

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2021 11:48 #238388 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Towing a caravan
I converted my LC so that low range could be had in 2 wheel drive. Made slow tight manoeuvres a lot easier.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Sep 2021 15:29 #238398 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Towing a caravan
This is the main reason I have manual hubs. 2wd low range with a automatic gives very controlled manoeuvres.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Sep 2021 15:44 #238399 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Towing a caravan
I know a couple of guys who will off road in nothing only automatic gear boxes.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 Sep 2021 16:07 #238401 by Lambert
In my opinion the beating that an auto dishes out to a manual off road is not funny. I will not be going back to manual.

More
10 Sep 2021 21:26 - 10 Sep 2021 21:28 #238445 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Towing a caravan
We've ordered the caravan (won't be delivered until early next year)
And see how the Jimny copes. lf it's no good, we'll use the Defender.
But hopefully it will be alright. The caravan is a Swift Basecamp 2.
lt's under 1,000 kg. We also ordered the AL-KO ATC anti snake system to be fitted.

We will do a towing course before taking delivery, as neither of us have towed anything more than a small trailer (and l was crap at reversing that)
Last edit: 10 Sep 2021 21:28 by lightning.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
11 Sep 2021 03:33 #238448 by Lambert
If possible when you book your course try and confirm that you can learn/practice on a single axle trailer, most of the instructors I see round here are using tandem axle horse boxes or big box trailers which behave differently to single axles both forward and reversing. Your instructors should also be giving you the low down on hitch height and trailer attitude and loading. If If they are amenable then ask to use the Jimny with their trailer on their off highway facility it will help you judge how the Jimny will work with the swift before you are on the road. Good luck and congrats on your new arrival!

More
11 Sep 2021 15:50 #238478 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Towing a caravan
Congratulations on the future new arrival. 
Just seen one in the flesh on the M5, look a nice size. 
May I suggest some adjustable or better rear dampers if you think the Jimny will do it. They get a heck of a work out and my STD dampers (also old just in case it's simply worn out) proved inadequate. 
Have fun. 
​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds