BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Towing a caravan

More
06 Sep 2021 18:23 #238292 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Towing a caravan
Its true what Lambert said, for its size the Jimny can tow quite a lot. So I will sing its praise for this, my main issue is simply lack of power.
So what's it like:
Put four people plus luggage in your Jimny and fit an arrestor parachute and go for a drive, it's going to be like that 
I get passed by everything on the motorway, even the slow lorries. It just can't go any faster, it's giving 90% to pull at 50, nothing left in reserve. 

Hopefully the extra cc the G4 has will help, but you are planning to tow 250Kg more than me so it could be a similar experience. 

Nothing wrong with this so long as you are happy to be the slow chap. 

My Citroën 2ltr Xantia SR, now that could tow!!! 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2021 20:35 #238294 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Towing a caravan
If it's giving 90%, then you still have 10% in reserve ;)
The nice thing about petrol engines is you can shift down a gear and gain power without losing speed. When I still had a 1.3 I'd often be in 3rd to hold 60mph up a long hill.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Sep 2021 03:28 #238297 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Towing a caravan
If yours is having to give 90pc towing 750kg then something is wrong. Towing 1300kg I have way more than half throttle left on the flat in top gear. It takes a hill with a gradient marker to get either of mine to slow down.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Sep 2021 07:17 - 07 Sep 2021 07:24 #238300 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Towing a caravan
Well, in the end l've got my Defender 110 if the Jimny struggles, that will tow anything.

But it would be great to have the Jimny to use while on holiday, plus it's a lot quieter on the motorway and better for long journeys.

lt will be interesting to see how the Jimny Gen 4 gets on towing a 1,000kg trailer. From the comments already made l fear that hills may make us unpopular with other motorists but time will tell.

Even the Defender was slow on hills when loaded up until l had the engine remapped, now it is much better, sadly you can't remap a Jimny as it only really works on vehicles with a turbo.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 07:24 by lightning.

More
07 Sep 2021 08:14 #238301 by Scimike
Hi Lambert, crossed wires here, simply trying to put across in words how it feels rather than actual figures. 90% is a reference to how much power it feels it is using power rather than the accelerator position, which is about 50-60% on the flat. Just did not want to give the impression you have plenty in reserve as you dont. 
Sadly if something was wrong I could fix it, but the engine is in tip top condition and as good as it gets. 

I also have a Land Rover Series 2 and to put it into context the Jimny is my preference to tow my caravan. Happy towing in your new caravan venture, sure you will enjoy if you just take your time and ignore the buzzing euro box behind! 

​​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Sep 2021 09:48 #238305 by Lambert
Have you calibrated your throttle cable? I have found them on occasion to be almost 3 or 4 turns out depending on the age of the car.

More
08 Sep 2021 07:22 #238329 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Towing a caravan
l know what you mean about the vehicle being at "90%"
So you might only have the gas pedal half way down, but if you floored the pedal there's almost nothing in reserve.

Now the missus wants to look at the slightly larger Swift Basecamp 4 caravan rather than the Basecamp 2.

Thats another 100kg of caravan weight, taking it nearer 1100kg empty.
l wouldn't want to tow that with the Jimny, as it's approaching the weight of the vehicle.

The Basecamp 2 is under 1,000kg

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Sep 2021 08:25 #238333 by Lambert
I happened to notice that there is a basecamp a couple of streets away from my house. It's a lot bigger in person than it looks in the pictures. Windage is going to be a much bigger issue than the actual weight they're quite a big frontal area.

More
08 Sep 2021 08:29 - 08 Sep 2021 08:30 #238334 by Scimike
Cool, that's what I was trying to put across rather than actual positioning of things.
You need to allow 200-250kg for all the junk that gets added, that's before the pedal cycles and tennis sets get thrown in. My van is 550 empty, but I have 230kg of added extras taking it very close to the 750kg axle limit, all measured on a local weighbridge. 
If you read the G3 manual Suzuki recommend a limit of 450kg braked. However, a tow what you want statement upto the gross vehicle train limit (within local laws) and you arrive at the 1300kg printed in on the V5 for a braked limit. 
Great for a small car,  but I also would be uncomfortable pushing the little fella this hard. 
But worth a go,  you may be happy and you always have the Defender as a back up. 

Last edit: 08 Sep 2021 08:30 by Scimike.

More
08 Sep 2021 08:44 #238335 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Towing a caravan
As a matter of interest, the limits, auto or manual, on a Gen.4 are:-

Braked 1,300 kg.
Un-braked 350 kg.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Sep 2021 09:05 - 08 Sep 2021 09:12 #238336 by Lambert
Except. When you read the construction and use regulations as amended then it clearly states that a vehicle can tow upto half its kerb weight unbraked to a maximum of 750 kg. So in the case of a gen3 that is something like 550kg give or take. Or 200kg more than the manual states. However the manual also stipulates that local laws take precedence. So by that token the gen3 has to have met the requirements of construction and use in order to be sold here. It can't be both. It's either as the manual and 350kg/450kg or it's construction and use and 550kg/1300kg. Personally I will stick with the regulations until I am forced not to.

Last edit: 08 Sep 2021 09:12 by Lambert. Reason: Clarification

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Sep 2021 09:06 #238337 by Lambert
Sorry I get a bit ranty on this subject because there is too much contradiction.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds