BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Towing a caravan

More
04 Sep 2021 11:54 - 04 Sep 2021 12:09 #238208 by lightning
Towing a caravan was created by lightning
Has anyone towed a caravan with the new Jimny? lt gets one star out of five in a tow car review!

We are looking at buying a small lightweight caravan (Swift Basecamp 2) and it's around 1,000kg which is well within the Jimny's braked towing limit.

The review says it's unstable and not great, but other reviews of the Jimny say it's terrible on the motorway, which is far from the truth.

Okay, it's not a Discovery 4, but if you've tried towing a caravan with the Jimny, how was it? One thing, l am guessing performance could be marginal towing 1,000kg.
We could fit a caravan stability device if it's got a tendency to be unstable.
We could always use the Defender for towing, but it would be great to have use of the Jimny while on holiday.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2021 12:09 by lightning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Sep 2021 12:08 #238209 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Towing a caravan
I tow a lot with my gen3 and as long as you accept it can be quite slow progress up big hills then you will be fine. The caveat there is that the windage on a caravan is going to be quite noticeable compared with a livestock trailer but equally you won't have any issues with your load moving about as you drive. The additional power of the 1.5 will also help.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lightning

More
04 Sep 2021 12:12 #238210 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Towing a caravan
Typical review from a magazine that's used to
testing big 4x4's but it's put my missus off a bit.

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
04 Sep 2021 12:39 #238211 by Lambert
Doubtless written by yet another reviewer who hasn't driven the car let alone with a trailer on. My 9x5 tandem pulls perfectly on the back of Temeraire even at full capacity. 50 mph on the flat is perfectly smooth and stable hills are OK with momentum unless they're really steep or long but with the automatic gearbox it's much easier if a gear change is required. Don't get me wrong it's not even remotely as effortless as towing 3 tonnes behind leviathan but it's no chore. That said I have been towing trailers since before I had a licence so I know what to expect, if it's your first venture into towing then I might suggest a few days practice with the defender to learn the trailer first might be a good idea.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
04 Sep 2021 13:08 #238212 by Lambert
Just looking at the van in question and I would like one myself, ideal size for the Jimny, big enough without being a glorified camping trailer.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
04 Sep 2021 13:17 #238213 by Lambert
Looking further the nose weight is a little high but being a single you could ballast that away. You will also definitely want extended mirrors as it apparently over 7ft wide but most of them are nowadays.

More
04 Sep 2021 19:16 - 04 Sep 2021 21:31 #238218 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Towing a caravan
Thank you for the advice.

Do you know if the Jimny stability control will activate to assist when towing a caravan, if the outfit gets into a sway?
Last edit: 04 Sep 2021 21:31 by lightning.

More
05 Sep 2021 17:13 - 05 Sep 2021 17:38 #238246 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Towing a caravan
The truth is, as much as it hurts me to say this, the Jimny is not a good tow vehicle. Yes it can do it, but so can my 2CV (yes it has a tow hitch). That's my point, just because it can does not make it good.
The G4 addresses one issue which is a real lack of power, but I can't comment by how much that 200cc will help. Any sort of hill is going to see 4th/ 3rd and 40mph max, motorway speeds 50 / 55 on the flat. Stability is not an issue, it always feels in control (at the above speeds), but the fidgeting nature of the ride is double as you now feel every jolt of the road. 
This is my G3 with no more than 750Kg on the back. 

This is of course just my opinion, based on the many miles I tow my caravan with my G3. 
In fact on holiday now, 360 miles just completed.
I put up with the poor towing experience as I simply like the Jimny, just wish I had 2ltr and a turbo for the days it has the van attached. 

Proof a Jimny can happily tow a caravan or load, braked upto 1300kg. Enjoying the journey is down to your expectation.

Summary 
Yes it can tow a caravan. 
Lack of power is the main issue, at some point you will be travelling slowly on a fast motorway. 
50mph is about it on the flat. 
Stability is not an issue, its very good if you load the van correctly. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Sep 2021 17:38 by Scimike.

More
05 Sep 2021 21:16 #238260 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Towing a caravan
That's a new one, a fast motorway , most in my neck of the woods are controlled from overhead gantries and those that aren't are gridlocked anyway. But, coming back to the main point, tow a caravan and you are restricted to a max. of 60 mph so doing a max. of 50 in the inside lane is not such a bad idea. 

Not so sure about being overtaken by an artic. though.

Roger

More
05 Sep 2021 21:29 #238261 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Towing a caravan
I regularly tow with my Jimny (gen 3 manual, 1.6 swap, auto diffs)
​and with a balanced 1,300kg load in a single axle 8'x4' trailer it is very stable. Given the size and weight of the car, I'd say it tows exceptionally well. Your issue with the caravan will be the sheer size of it. Extra wind drag will sap power and also make it less stable. A 7ft wide trailer behind a 5ft wide car is not a good combination in my mind.

More
06 Sep 2021 08:42 #238270 by Axholme Lion
Replied by Axholme Lion on topic Towing a caravan
I have an Ifor Williams P5 trailer and used it to tow a few loads of heavy 100 old bricks. About 140 bricks per load. It was sat down a little but it did ok. Just take it nice and easy and don't do anything silly.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Sep 2021 09:32 #238272 by Lambert
You might find a better tow car for the money but you won't find one for the size apart from maybe a super short ibex.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds