BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Replacement/Upgraded Foglights

• CaptG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2021 13:16 #237890 by CaptG
Replacement/Upgraded Foglights was created by CaptG
Hello Jimny lovers

I want to upgrade my fog lights on my 2021 JB74, can anyone say if the 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK 4” fog lights are a direct fit, because so many options are available in such. 

Thanks for your advise 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2021 13:55 #237893 by fordem
Are you sure an upgraded fog light is what you want?

Fog lights are designed to have a very "short reach", they are not intended to be driving lights. The requirements are different, the performance is different.

• CaptG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2021 14:14 #237896 by CaptG
Replied by CaptG on topic Replacement/Upgraded Foglights
I want upgraded lights with drls, I want to know if the wrangler options fit.

More
26 Aug 2021 19:41 #237913 by Soeley
Don't know it you have seen these  OSRAM  lights, I have them on mine and had them on my previous car for about 8 years. They still work and look like new.
See here  www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...-sz5?start=96#210756

More
28 Aug 2021 03:18 #237938 by fordem
I haven't taken a measuring tape to the foglights, but at a glace I'd say they are 2 maybe 2.5" diameter, the chance of a 4" light being a "direct replacement" is unlikely.

More
28 Aug 2021 06:10 - 28 Aug 2021 06:14 #237939 by yakuza
I have no idea about the gen4 lights but i believe they are the same as most other suzuki, the gen3 jimny, other jap cars, they got the 9cm lights. Sorry guys, it is metric.
Should be about 3,5 inches something but please...
There are a lot of replacement lights on ebay and like, but I have not been able to identify what could have been a good option to swap the fog lights for. Must be of same or better quality than the original lights. I have tried and failed bying lousy stuff before.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2021 06:14 by yakuza.

More
28 Aug 2021 18:08 #237964 by fordem
I measured it - the visible portion is 3.25 inches.

My question for you is similar to what I asked the original poster, what is it you're looking for - he wants an upgrade, but only he knows what form the upgrade is going to take, you want to swap - why - what is wrong with the originals?

Fog lights are designed to fill a very specific need, and most OEM units meet those needs, and at least in my experience are a lot better at the task than the vast majority of after market products.

Many people confuse fog lights with driving lights, they're not the same - fog lights are deliberately mounted low down, and a driving light mounted in that position, no matter how well designed, will not be effective because it is too low.

Regarding ebay sourced product - there's a lot out of trash out there, and this is one area where you'll get what you pay for, if you have a limited budget go with the low end product from the better known brands, Hella, Bosch, Marchal, Cibie - I'm partial to the Hella 500, those are a classic that have been around for decades.

More
28 Aug 2021 20:26 #237974 by Soeley
Those OSRAMS I mentioned earlier I bought for my previous car, a Toyota iQ. The commute I did took me quite high up over the hills with either fog or low cloud settling of the hills quite often. The original Toyota fog lights were useless! When switched on you couldn't even tell they were on. I got the impression they were fitted as a fashion accessory rathe than a functional light. Fitting the OSRAMS took me right back to the 80's when I fitted some rectangular below the bumper fog lights on my Mini, they produce a nice wide but very low thin beam to cut through the fog. (Still beggars belief how many people use high beam in the fog??)

More
28 Aug 2021 21:05 #237977 by Roger Fairclough
High beam in fog is a guarantee to blind you.

Roger

More
31 Aug 2021 10:42 #238053 by yakuza
After trying a wide array of lousy bulbs in my lousy ebay fog lights i luckily drowned them in a puddle. Now i bought a set of used original fog lights from a wrecker at 30£ each. They work just fine for me and is adjusted with ease so i do not annoy my fellow drivers (too much).
Before bying them I was thinking of using the holes in the bumper for some LED DRL's and hook them up like auto-on as I have to use lights all day here in Norway. Some days in the winter there is very little daylight anyways. But I managed to repair the aftermarket relay that turns on the headlights when the car starts, and if it works, do not fix it.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
31 Aug 2021 11:36 #238057 by mlines
UK posters should remember that overseas JB74 do not necessarily have fog lights or DRLs as standard. Indeed some have a black blanking plate. Therefore it is not unusual to want to add/upgrade what is (not) there.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
31 Aug 2021 20:12 #238080 by Dirtbird
ok good to know.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds