BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Chipped paint - JB74

More
23 Aug 2021 13:47 - 23 Aug 2021 13:48 #237815 by 300bhpton
Just been washing the Jimny and noticed this!!

Anyone else had chipped paint? don't think I've ever had this on another vehicle before?

As there is a body warranty, should I contact the dealership? Or just see if I can order up some touchup paint (Chiffon Ivory). I have some Evaporust I could treat the area with. Hope it isn't a sign of things to come. :(
Last edit: 23 Aug 2021 13:48 by 300bhpton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2021 13:53 #237816 by Axholme Lion
Replied by Axholme Lion on topic Chipped paint - JB74
I got a whopper on the drivers side door pillar. I wouldn't think it was warranty as it's not a manufacturing defect. I just got some touch up paint, built up a few layers and then polished it. You can still see it if you look hard enough but it's not worth getting it done in a bodyshop as you could drive out and get another on the way home. I do have some rust on the chassis where the body mounts are on my 20 plate. does anyone else?

More
23 Aug 2021 14:10 #237817 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Chipped paint - JB74
The warranty won't cover stone chips, only rust bubbling up from inside. Luckily those corner panels are easily replaceable if it starts to rust.

More
23 Aug 2021 15:28 #237820 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Chipped paint - JB74
I get the impression the paint is quite thin, I've managed to put a few scratches on the bonnet of my car.

More
23 Aug 2021 16:18 #237821 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Chipped paint - JB74
l think the paint is fairly thin, l was surprised to find no body colour at all in the engine bay, only primer.

That stone chip has started to rust. You need to treat it before you apply paint.

l got one on the passenger door and another at the front of the roof, but after careful application of touch up paint you can't see them now.

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2021 12:20 - 27 Aug 2021 12:27 #237924 by MrPaynterZA
Replied by MrPaynterZA on topic Chipped paint - JB74
I too have a number of small chips on my grill surround as well as the leading edge of the bonnet. 
It's a little nerve-wracking how they're all through the paint to the metal as well.

I'm currently chatting to a shop regarding a touch up to my silky silver 2019 SZ4 (GA here in South Africa.) Thereafter it may well be worth investigating some clear film or a bonnet guard if I can find one which isn't too ugly. 
Last edit: 27 Aug 2021 12:27 by MrPaynterZA.

More
27 Aug 2021 21:59 #237936 by crash486
Replied by crash486 on topic Re:Chipped paint - JB74

MrPaynterZA wrote: I too have a number of small chips on my grill surround as well as the leading edge of the bonnet. 
It's a little nerve-wracking how they're all through the paint to the metal as well.

I'm currently chatting to a shop regarding a touch up to my silky silver 2019 SZ4 (GA here in South Africa.) Thereafter it may well be worth investigating some clear film or a bonnet guard if I can find one which isn't too ugly. 

I covered the leading edges and A pillars with clear film 18 months ago and I'm pleased it does the job.
All the curves meant applying for the first time wasn't easy.
If you want a seamless result I'd suggest a professional as the film I was able to purchase is harder handle.

crash486 JB74W

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds