BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New to Jimny Ownership

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2021 04:13 - 17 Aug 2021 04:31 #237621 by Sean65
New to Jimny Ownership was created by Sean65
Morning all,
I couldn't see a newbie thread so just thought i would say hello from the Midlands, UK here.
I am about to become the new owner of a sparkly red 02 plate Jimny with ridiculously big wheels, which will need changing, but just wanted to ask a few things before actually parting with cash for this one. I will add some photos if I can for a better idea. The car seems generally unmolested. The arches (they are in the boot) have been removed to accommodate the 285 tyres (will need advice on replacement soon) and it has been sprayed with underseal. It will need some welding next MOT but that is 9 months off so it will get me through the winter. It drives okay considering the tyres, but i did notice the steering wheel was completely off. Maybe something bent of just tracking way out? I also notice the swivel hubs were covered in grease. I assume, if like on Land Rovers, these should be clean and shiny. Is this an expensive thing to sort?
I has only done 49k miles so not a lot and I guess clocking them isnt something worth doing.
I did think when I go back to possibly collect, I will jack up, wobble all the wheels and maybe take one off to see what discs and pads are like etc.
Any helpful comments would be appreciate in the first instance, please.
Thanks
Last edit: 17 Aug 2021 04:31 by Sean65.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Aug 2021 05:54 #237626 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New to Jimny Ownership
Welcome to the forum. Not a bad thing that. Does it drive reasonably well, if so it's likely that the gearing has been adjusted for the tyres so going back to standard ish might be more involved than just taking the wheels off. As for the steering wheel being off that is a function of the suspension being lifted to accommodate the tyres, the drag link will be too short probably to have enough adjustment either that or it wasn't considered important by the previous owner. As for the arches it looks like the body has been trimmed as well as the plastic removed? In fairness I would be tempted to leave it as it is if it's not going to be a commuting car assuming it drives well enough.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
17 Aug 2021 06:07 #237629 by Lambert
Oh and the swivel balls being wet is a sign of the kingpin bearings being in need of replacement, not a big problem. There tonnes of information on this in the information section above.

More
17 Aug 2021 06:31 #237630 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic New to Jimny Ownership
A JIMNY WELCOME FROM N/WALES

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2021 08:12 #237632 by Sean65
Replied by Sean65 on topic New to Jimny Ownership
Thanks for the replies/welcomes. Very helpful. So I assume that it has definitely had a lift in order to fit the massive tyres or they would not have fit even with the arches removed. I have some 235s on my Landy 90 (can I use the name here) which I could swap as they 285 may look alright on that.
That makes sense with the tracking, so just wheel off and re set. The kinpin bearing seem similar to the 90 in term of everything off and replace seals at the same time. As you say, not a big job but do I want to be spending money straight away? I am going to have a less rushed look again later and taking a trolley jack to raise the front, give a shake and wobble and check discs/pads. The chap is very accommodating!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
17 Aug 2021 09:33 #237637 by Lambert
Ideally you want the weight on the wheels to adjust the drag link to the pitman arm. You don't need to touch the tracking bar at the back of the axle.

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2021 10:00 #237639 by Sean65
Pitman arm is a new term to me. I guess a steering arm?
My tyres on the 90 are 235/70. Would these allow for the arches to be refit do you think?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
17 Aug 2021 10:14 #237640 by Lambert
Pitman is the small arm directly attached to the steering box. Drag link connects it to the knuckle or hub. Tracking bar connects the 2 knuckles.

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2021 11:09 #237646 by Sean65
Thanks. That makes sense.
I gather the engines are bullet proof subject to the usual service. Only 49k miles, but I would think a cambelt change wouldn't go a miss.

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2021 12:28 #237651 by Sean65
Photos of the swivels. Look like seals needed at some point soon. Anything else obvious?
Attachments:

More
17 Aug 2021 14:00 #237656 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic New to Jimny Ownership
Unlike landrover swivels, Jimny swivels need not be perfectly shiny as they are not full of oil or grease. They essentially run dry, with only the inside of the CV joint needing to be greased. That big seal is a dust seal, more to stop stuff getting in than out. Greasy sludge dribbling out of the bottom of the swivel seal is normally a sign that you driveshaft seal has gone. This is a much smaller seal that stops the differential oil leaking out around the driveshaft. This is turn is a sign that the kingpin bearings are worn, allowing movement in the swivel seal which wears the driveshaft seal.

Yours look good. No dribbling! I'd leave them alone until you get signs of kingpin bearing failure (typically a steering wobble at 45mph).

Sticking some sensibly sized tyres on it will improve the car in almost every respect.

More
17 Aug 2021 14:04 #237657 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic New to Jimny Ownership
Don't worry about changing the cam belt as it won't have one.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds