BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Salisbury Plains in Standard Jimny

More
16 Aug 2021 14:13 #237598 by tomlil01
Hi,

I was just hoping to get some advice before visiting the Salisbury Plains for the first time. 

I have a more-or-less standard Jimny, with the only mods being rear recovery points and Goodyear Wrangler tyres. I have some waffle boards,  and a hand winch, I've been doing a bit of laning the last couple of months but I'm pretty new to this stuff. 

In Salisbury Plains, are the more "hardcore" areas (really deep water and mud) easily avoidable, by going around or turning back and going a different route? I have Trailwise, so I can read up on the indivisual lanes to get an idea of what they're like. My main worry is probably going down a long narrow lane and then it becoming too rutted for me to get down without hitting the underside of my car (because the car is not lifted). Is this a realistic concern on the plains? I've only come across one lane so far where this was a problem, but luckily it was very near the start so I could reverse out ok. 

Also, any general tips?

Thanks
Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2021 14:24 #237600 by 300bhpton
Any of the green lanes are part of the Queens Highway. You really shouldn't need anything extreme to drive them. I'd suggest anything looking 'hardcore' is probably off piste and really shouldn't have a vehicle on it anyway.

As always, laning with another person or small group is always advised. Going solo, you completely rely on self recovery, but there are very real limitations to this.

More
16 Aug 2021 14:51 #237603 by DrRobin
Trailwise is probably your best resource. I am not on it myself but understand that each route has details on the conditions you can expect and then you can make your own mind up if it is fit for you and your vehicle.

Not all public rights of way (Byways Open to All Traffic and other Green Lanes) can be driven by car, and a few not even on a motorbike as they are just too rough or have large ditches. You could try looking on Google Earth to see if the route is likely to be driveable if Trailwise doesn't say so.

Of course if you do find some good routes, you could post them on here for other Jimny owners to enjoy.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: tomlil01

More
16 Aug 2021 16:06 #237606 by Roger Fairclough
Do not attempt to enter the "Austrian Village" map ref. ST 016455. You can drive past it to the north and west but the army closely monitor it and lippy trespassers are dealt with harshly.
Ditto Imber village, ref. ST 965486.The village is usually open during bank holidays, but you must obey the rules.
There are more driveable lanes on the plain than anywhere else in Britain but please remember to give way to Challenger tanks.

Roger

More
16 Aug 2021 16:21 #237607 by DrRobin
Good point Roger, this could happen.....

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2021 19:06 #237610 by mlines
Virtually all the lanes are chalk surface and are driveable in a 2wd car. If you find the going tough you have probably driven off track onto the tank tracks that run parallel. The LandMarc Patrol vehicles will soon put you back on course with a stern word.

Alledgedly some of the off-track river fords have been excavated out in the middle of the water to trap drivers not using the proper and easier main track. Not sure how true that is because it would also trap Squaddies in their Toyotas and Nissans. 

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
16 Aug 2021 20:15 #237612 by Roger Fairclough
There used to be a legal ford through the River Avon but it has been closed for a long time. I once watched a Scorpion tank take the ford at approx. 40 mph. Unfortunately the bow wave swept up the glacis plate and totally inundate the driver who would probably have been the one to bale the tank out later.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: ahtr

More
16 Aug 2021 22:17 #237619 by tomlil01
Thanks, all, for the tips and advice. Sounds like it is probably not as tough as I was expecting. Seen a few videos on YouTube with a lot of deep water and mud with people getting stuck and needing to be towed out, but maybe these are people going off-piste and just messing about.

I think Trailwise should at least allow me to keep to the allowed lanes, and stay clear of any tanks.

Thanks
Lee

More
17 Aug 2021 08:30 #237634 by Roger Fairclough
A GPS unit will allow you to follow the tracks you mark on your map so you shouldn't get lost. The plain is pretty flat and the majority of the tracks are driveable in a Mini. From memory most of the bigger holes are to be found at junctions.
Personally speaking, the ranges at Otterburn are much more interesting.

Roger

More
17 Aug 2021 10:17 #237641 by 300bhpton

Thanks, all, for the tips and advice. Sounds like it is probably not as tough as I was expecting. Seen a few videos on YouTube with a lot of deep water and mud with people getting stuck and needing to be towed out, but maybe these are people going off-piste and just messing about.

I think Trailwise should at least allow me to keep to the allowed lanes, and stay clear of any tanks.

Thanks
Lee
I would think almost anything on YouTube showing extreme terrain is not on an actual 'green lane'. Sadly it is twunks doing stuff like that, which result in lanes being shut or slapped with a traffic order restriction.

We were in Wiltshire and Salisbury plains a couple of years ago. It was middle of summer, but you really could have driven the very vast majority in something like an Austin Metro.

I'd recommend getting a mapping app on your phone. Trailwise is good for planning, but doesn't show your live location.

On my iPhone I use an app called Outdoors GPS. Which will give you access to all of the OS maps for £19.99 a year. OS maps offer something similar, although not sure if you need internet access to use theirs. The Outdoors GPS one allows you to download maps before you go or stream live.

The 1/25,000 scale works well and will show your exact location and the lane. And you can record your route, so if challenged, you can provide proof of where you have been driving. It was amazing watching large numbers of people driving on tracks that had no public right of way.

Some pics showing the general terrain:

More
17 Aug 2021 11:20 #237648 by DrRobin
I have used ViewRanger on both IOS and Android for a lot of years, I was a Beta tester (unpaid of course) once for new versions especially IOS.

Viewranger will use OS maps as well as Open Street Maps and will show your position, you have to pay for the OS maps, but they are good value as you can just download the squares you need. There is also a large library online of routes, mostly walking routes, but a reasonable number of 4x4 routes as well, a number of these are free.

I have recently started using OSMAnd (Open Street Map And), this is similar to Viewranger and the base version is free. OSMAnd also works as a Sat Nav and will get you to the start of the Green Lane.

Open Street Maps have good clear mapping and you can see the smallest of lanes on here, but it is not as clear as OS maps to see if they are a public right of way.

This is where www.rowmaps.com comes in, they have all of the public Byways (open to all traffic) as downloadable GPX, KML etc and you can import these in to Google Earth and OSMAnd.

You can of course plot your own routes or you could get the GPX from Trailwise and import in to OSMAnd or Viewranger to show your vehicle as a moving dot whilst on the lane.

None of these mapping apps confirm that you are allowed to drive down the lane, unless it is a public right of way, so you still have to do your reseach and make sure before setting off, but at least they keep you on the lane when driving.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
18 Aug 2021 11:30 #237687 by tomlil01
Thanks, DrRobin. I setup OSMAnd and it seems really good. That was the problem with Trailwise, you can't easily use it for tracking where you are/navigation.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds