BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Discreet front tow points.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Aug 2021 20:01 #237554 by Lambert
On my travels through YouTube (I blame binky) the idea has presented itself to make or adapt a set of front recovery points that accept the large screw in eye bolts most cars usually have have one of. The idea would be to only use with a bridal to minimise the loading. The advantage would be that when not in use there wouldn't be any ugly protruding metal in the bumper just a couple of grommets. The way I have seen it done involves using coupler nuts appropriate to the eye bolts welded securely top and bottom along their length, which for m16 is best part of 30mm of weld on 2 sides so reasonably unlikely to fall off with much less than 2 tonnes per side and if a Jimny needs 4 tonnes of force to get free damage elsewhere is highly likely. The only other issue is that the correct post 2014 donor recovery points are on back order and I don't know how adaptable the older style ones I have in stores would be for the ends of Temeraire's chassis. 
Do we think this is a viable solution or would it collapse first time it was used in anger? 

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2021 21:54 #237556 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Discreet front tow points.
Have look at DAVE MARSH RACING on EBAY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
15 Aug 2021 08:17 #237559 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Discreet front tow points.
I actually believe its a viable solution and if built correctly will not cause any issues. To this end you need to decide if your welding is good enough or it's time to pay a professional coded welder to "glue" it all together.
You could also investigate using manufacturers tow point hardware / ideas, rob it off scrap vehicles and adapt accordingly. 

If I had a need myself for front tow points this is the route I would also go down. Good luck.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
15 Aug 2021 09:11 - 15 Aug 2021 09:13 #237563 by Quasi
Last edit: 15 Aug 2021 09:13 by Quasi. Reason: One day I'll learn to type

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Aug 2021 10:21 #237564 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Discreet front tow points.
Yes something like that but without the weight of the box section for the centre mount.

I was thinking to use existing eyes off something heavy like a discovery. Initially I have to work out if the bolt on parts I already have can be used.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Aug 2021 12:37 - 15 Aug 2021 12:38 #237565 by lookonimages

Quasi wrote: Something akin to this?

Great ideas
Last edit: 15 Aug 2021 12:38 by lookonimages.

More
15 Aug 2021 13:10 #237566 by Dirtbird
Some good stuff going on there on the website again we are not alone in the fight for the cure for the Jimny disease.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
16 Aug 2021 15:58 #237605 by jackonlyjack
We use M18 eye bolts at work These are nowhere near strong enough
To use in a recovery situation If i can find a data sheet i will post a picture 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan

More
18 Aug 2021 08:15 #237684 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Discreet front tow points.
Sounds like a sound, simple idea. Those are often the best ones. Most recovery points are simple strips of ~10mm steel bolted to the side of the chassis. With a bit of reinforcing to take the side loads it would be adequate.

Re. The load limit for lifting eyes, remember that lifting kit has a minimum 5:1 safety factory, compared to 2:1 for recovery kit. So a 1t lifting eye would be rated atleast a 2.5t recovery point. A pair of these will be more than adequate on a Jimny.

Along similar lines heres the "hidden" bracket I made for a detachable front towbar. It includes a pair of recovery points for shackles but is obviously much more substantial than what you're looking for. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds