BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Field Jimny with terminal rust

• Godskitchen
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2021 07:46 #236899 by Godskitchen
Field Jimny with terminal rust was created by Godskitchen
Hello all, new member here, brilliant forum, I have been reading through countless old posts over the past few weeks. Seems like a decent community here.

In short, I purchased for a Jimny to use for field work around the farm. Carry a chain saw and fuel with passenger, sledge hammer and fencing materials, fuel drums to feed an excavator. I wanted something that if it started to rain we could use as shelter. Like a quad but more practical, like a John Deere Gator but less need to remortgage the house. 

The Jimny will never be road worthy again, and I would never take it on the road. 

With all that said, the rust is pretty bad. I'm looking for guidance on what can be done to keep it from throwing the body off the chassis. 

The rear most passenger side body mount has disintegrated on the body. The slapping of the body on chassis, over small bumps, makes me wince every time. Its like an anvil. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to make it more secure, other than welding in new sections. Can it be secured via bolting from the boot with metal plate above and below? 

Any suggestions more than welcome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2021 09:56 #236900 by Roger Fairclough
Literally anything that works. Speed doesn't enter into it and neither does the need to pass an MoT. Brakes , steering and general solidity do. Try long bolts and plates as you have suggested.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Godskitchen

• Godskitchen
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2021 10:00 #236901 by Godskitchen
Replied by Godskitchen on topic Field Jimny with terminal rust
Thanks Roger, as you say, anything that works.

I will take another look and see what I can come up with, long bolts and plates should work with a bit of luck,

Any other ideas or suggestions apricated.

It would be great if I could get it to last until this time next year.

More
23 Jul 2021 10:37 #236903 by Scimike
Just get some thick angle or U iron section and bolt it to the chassis / bolt or weld it to the tub. It don't need to look pretty and I have seen the front chassis mounts repaired this way and it actually looked good.
As Roger indicated its a make it up as you go along solution.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Godskitchen

• Godskitchen
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2021 11:07 #236904 by Godskitchen
Replied by Godskitchen on topic Field Jimny with terminal rust
Thanks for the reply. I will take some pictures as I go and post them here, it will be fast and dirty but should get the job done.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Jul 2021 19:50 #236915 by Lambert
The only thing I might add would be to include some kind of rubber in your work to act as an isolation between the body and chassis.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds