BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Beginner Questions

More
22 Jun 2021 14:12 - 22 Jun 2021 14:41 #236043 by tomlil01
Beginner Questions was created by tomlil01
Hi, all,

Just recently got my Jimny and starting doing some greenlaning. At the weekend I went to a lane that had very deep ruts (maybe ~10 inches). I turned round because due to the depth my wheels were at, my diff would have been scraping through the mud. I was assuming that I don't want the bottom of the car touching the ground, but am I incorrect? Obviously if it was rocks that would be different, but with just soft mud, am I ok to drive with the diff diff digging a furrow through the mud? Would diff guards make a difference?

On a separate topic, can anyone point me to a hand winch they use? Because I am going out on my own I am thinking it would be sensible to have one in case I get stuck? What else do I need in addition to the winch itself?

ThanksLee

​​​​​
Last edit: 22 Jun 2021 14:41 by tomlil01.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2021 14:26 #236044 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Beginner Questions
To your first question 
Yes you can push on through the soft mud
I removed my diff guards they just filled with mud
Get yourself a transfer box guard 

A small spade available from screwfix 
waffle boards,good recovery points,tow rope/straps

Also some green lane recovery groups on facebook,use app what 3 words.and if you're on a legal lane someone will come to help you out.......
for a small fee 
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomlil01

More
22 Jun 2021 14:54 #236045 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Beginner Questions
As said above you can usually push through, but you are entering an unknown.
The sensible approach, if you don't want to get stuck, is to avoid contact with the bottom of the vehicle or axle. Go around, pick a different route or turn around completely.
If you accept you may get stuck then take some precautions. Protect the underside of the vehicle as you may damage it. Travel in a group, its usually more fun and it you get stuck someone will help. A winch is useful if you are on your own, but a considered and planned driving style will get you over or around most obstructions.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
22 Jun 2021 16:57 #236046 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Beginner Questions
My advice is to remember that reversing out is a good option if it gets sticky. Up until the exact moment you got stuck you were driving ok, so you know the ground behind is good. Pressing on forward you are going further into unknown territory. So a hand winch pulling the car out backwards is a good emergency option

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
22 Jun 2021 17:38 #236047 by tomlil01
Replied by tomlil01 on topic Beginner Questions
Thanks, all.

Good advice. So, sounds like dragging the diff through mud might not be as hardmful as I imagined, but could possibly cause damage and is probably best avoided as I might get stuck anyway!

I have a tow rope and small shovel on order already. I will order some waffle boards too. I was already looking at them. Sounds like a transfer box guard is a good idea too.

Does the car not have tow points as standard? Are these not used for recovery?

If anyone can point me at a hand winch and any other bits I need to use it that would be great.

Thanks
Lee

More
22 Jun 2021 17:39 #236048 by tomlil01
Thanks for the info.. what's my best bet for finding a group to go out with in my area? I did have a look around but couldn't find anything.
Lee

More
22 Jun 2021 17:40 #236049 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Beginner Questions
As standard, the car has TIE DOWN points only.

These are for tying it down on the ship and transporters, they are not suitable for recovery. Having said that, they are all the standard Jimny has, so use a bridle to share the load across the points and take it very gently

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
22 Jun 2021 17:41 #236050 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Beginner Questions
Where is your area?

Martin

More
22 Jun 2021 17:55 #236052 by tomlil01
I am in Shere, Surrey

More
22 Jun 2021 19:08 #236053 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Beginner Questions
Then perhaps Thames valley 4x4 are within reach of you

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Martin

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds