BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Gen.4 instrument panel lights.

More
15 Apr 2021 21:06 #234496 by Roger Fairclough
The system is silly complicated.
On auto the dipped beam will come on when I drive under bridges or under large overhanging trees. This I don't need. Also driving at night with auto selected means I don't have high beam except when I use flash. I have just done a test run and the dash lights are now ok brightness wise. Ditto for the GPS and it's the same for auto or manual.
On manual everything works as it should and that suits me fine. Lights come on when I want them on and stay off when not required.
Also, having just checked the handbook under " auto - on headlight system" I noticed that the sensors should not be covered up as the system will not work correctly. This comment is in the handbook and I am just the messenger.
In future I will ignore the auto system and use manual for all driving situations, day or night, but many thanks for all your comments.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2021 03:23 - 16 Apr 2021 03:36 #234497 by lookonimages

Roger Fairclough wrote: The system is silly complicated.
Also, having just checked the handbook under " auto - on headlight system" I noticed that the sensors should not be covered up as the system will not work correctly. .

Roger

LOL, you missing the whole point here. We do not want it to work what designers thought is "correct" what is "correct" for one might not be "correct" for someone else.

I deliberately want it to work differently to suit MY specific needs. Thus yes I manipulate the system to give me daylight running lights or at least mimic that. (Note: DRL is not installed in SA variants.), And there are many in SA that will prefer system to work like this.

For you, please stay with the handbook. There is nothing wrong with the system and it is working for you. :)
If we had daylight running lights as std, I might have even feel the same as you about the "handbook".

I just dont want the sensor and light to work as per handbook :). It is called deliverate manipulation.
I am not breaking anything in the process. Merely changing the conditions that I want lights to work. Pretty simple really. :)

So glad we can differ from opinion and that some find it OK not to accept what we givin and told as "the only way". It would be frightingly boring.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2021 03:36 by lookonimages.

More
16 Apr 2021 08:03 #234499 by Scimike
Blimey, remember the good old days when on or off was good enough. This thread sort of personifies why I don't like gizmos on my cars, it costs to fit and is something just waiting to go wrong, assuming it works in the first place.
I appreciate it's good for some, it just needs an app developing to allow adjustment from your phone and it would be perfect in my opinion, I'll pop this in the Suzuki suggestion box. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, lookonimages

More
16 Apr 2021 08:53 - 16 Apr 2021 08:54 #234503 by Roger Fairclough

The picture is taken from the 1931 edition of  "The book of the Austin", part of "The Motorists Library" series. The headlamps had two bulbs each, one bright, one dim. There is no mention of dipping the headlamps for oncoming traffic, probably due to the lack of other traffic, especially at night. There are no side lamps, the position of the headlights precludes this as they are sufficiently near to the outside dimensions
of the car to satisfy the requirements of the law.

Now who wants simple?

Roger
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Apr 2021 08:54 by Roger Fairclough.

More
16 Apr 2021 21:05 #234518 by Scimike
Ah that's more like it
Auto dim was a feature of Lucas bullet connectors, "the prince of darkness". I am pleased some things have improved.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds