BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Jìmny ĺift 50 mm and changes need your expertise

More
06 Apr 2021 23:11 #234280 by lookonimages
Martin and all the gurus.

I have the desol 50mm lift. Còntain springs and aftetmarket longer shocks.
Vehicĺe is right hand drive.

Some of the things that happened due to lift.
1) the front wheeĺs mòved to right (+- 5mm) due tò ĺift as the bar between diff and body cannot be ajusted. It is a fixed length. The moment you lift, the triangle force wheels off centre

2) the steering wheel is off centre. The moment the people adjust steering arm as per martins video, the steering is perfect straight, but the vehicle then pull very much to the right. (Been at 3 alignment centres-all gave simmilar results.) All alignment settings are within specs. That is why it is weird that vehicle pull right.

When they reverse the setting so that steering is slightly off centre again then the car runs straight. No pull left or right. Drives fantastic albit the steering wheel is off centre. Still perfect wheel alignment settings.

My understanding
It is my understanding from Martins video that you can adjust that steering arm to get steering wheel straight and it will not effect anything.

My issue that I tried to fix
So my issue is i want to get my steering wheel stràight - and the car stil need to run straight as per properly aligned wheel.

Shop / dealer comments.
Comments from wheel alignment place as well as suzuki local branch.

Suzuki said I must add adjutable bar first to pull back the wheels to the left a little so that it is perfect in normal position (as without a lift). Only then, should you be able to adjust steering bar to correct steering to be centered and then jimny will run straight.

Question
1) Please share your technical brains here to let me know if this is true possibility.
2) if I have to get front bar that is adjustable, so I can get front wheels centred again, move slightly left, where will i be able to get such an adjustable bar. Any ideas who might be able to build it for me.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2021 01:55 #234281 by fordem
A good place to start might be to tell us which model Jimny you have...

If your problem is the steering wheel not being centered, a quick & easy fix is to remove the wheel from it's splines and reposition it.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Apr 2021 03:31 #234282 by Lambert
Adjustable panhard bars shouldn't make any difference to the steering being able to be set correctly. Also adjusting the drag link to centre the steering wheel again shouldn't affect how the car drives. When you have had the car at the various alignment places have you been able to watch them make the adjustments? It's just that in my experience setting live axle geometry is evidently beyond most places and main dealers are only interested in standard specification vehicles and will often require unnecessary parts to rectify or request modifications be undone.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
07 Apr 2021 12:05 #234289 by lookonimages

fordem wrote: A good place to start might be to tell us which model Jimny you have...

If your problem is the steering wheel not being centered, a quick & easy fix is to remove the wheel from it's splines and reposition it.

Gen4

Have asked dealer to do it, but they dont want to. They keep saying rather fix the problem and not the symptoms.

More
07 Apr 2021 12:13 #234291 by lookonimages

Lambert wrote: Adjustable panhard bars shouldn't make any difference to the steering being able to be set correctly. Also adjusting the drag link to centre the steering wheel again shouldn't affect how the car drives. When you have had the car at the various alignment places have you been able to watch them make the adjustments? It's just that in my experience setting live axle geometry is evidently beyond most places and main dealers are only interested in standard specification vehicles and will often require unnecessary parts to rectify or request modifications be undone.

Lambert yes i have been able to watch. They made changes and set the steering adjustment like in Martins video. They test drive it and then let me drive it to confirm what they experience. Actually very nice of them to allow me in the allignment pit where they explain it properly and involve me very much.
They just cant get it fixed.

There is one more place in Cape Town that 4x4 people rated very high (4x4 speciality workshop) that I will take the jimny to but that might only happen next week.

I will update later.

More
07 Apr 2021 17:18 #234300 by mlines
I think most people have covered it.

1. The steering drag link, if done properly, only really adjusts the steering wheel position on the basis of "the path of least resistance"

2. The panhard rod, which is fixed as standard, will pull the axle over a few mm with a spring lift. For 50mm or less the effect is small, over 50mm you may want to consider an adjustable panhard rod.

3. Is it really a 50mm lift? Lift kits vary in the actual lift, I know of at least one 50mm lift that was close to 75mm. At this height there is more of an interaction between steering drag links and the panhard rod etc. can get more noticeable. In this case you do need to get the axle back in line and then do a full alignment. There is no need to remove and rotate the steering wheel.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
09 Apr 2021 14:02 #234343 by fordem
This is something I have been curious about, but, as I have not lifted my fourth gen, I cannot make a statement on.

The fourth gens are equipped with a steering damper - is this damper a "return-to-center" damper? Does it need to have it's position reset if the track rod is adjusted to re-center the steering?

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds