BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny prices

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jul 2021 17:49 #237131 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic Jimny prices
If I had hindsight, I'd have bought a Jimny new, at the time I'd thought to myself I'll buy a 2-3 year old one for 14-15k. Not a chance of that happening. Writing was on the wall when Suzuki stopped importing the passenger version. Even the commercial version is madness and shamefully you can't get the version with Android auto etc.

Would the clever move now to import one from Japan yourself?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2021 21:56 #237140 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Jimny prices

Time was when a pre-loved Jimny was a cheap way into the off road life. Now it seems you need very deep pockets. But on the other hand if it prices the idiot class out of the market then is it such a bad thing?

The Jimny is still a lot cheaper than a Defender, l hope that Jimny prices don't get near what you need to buy a decent one of those.
Defenders have moved out of reach of many and are now the preserve of the well off.

More
30 Jul 2021 10:28 #237153 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Jimny prices
Yup, lots of people with lots of spare cash from the pandemic so toy prices are sky high. I wonder how many have calculated their tax bill for next Januarys tax return? I expect the market will change quite dramatically around that point.
I've been using Jimnys for my work for the past 8 years, making use of their off-road ability, lightweight and agility but the way the market is at the minute I'm basically priced out, so I'll probably be moving to something less trendy when the time comes to change. On the plus side, seeing as my current Jimny is worth about 3x what I paid for it and very few other vehicles have gone up as much so I should be in quite a strong buying position.

More
30 Jul 2021 21:31 #237177 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Jimny prices
How does the Lada Niva compare?

Roger

More
31 Jul 2021 08:04 #237182 by lightning
The Lada Niva is capable but basically like a 1970's new car
More Defender than Jimny really, get one that isn't rusty/worn out and you'll be surprised at its abilities.

The heater is really good! lt was designed to work in Russia, after all.

More
31 Jul 2021 09:17 #237187 by Roger Fairclough
A new Niva is about £12,500 plus VAT. Its typically crude but strong but also left hand drive.

Roger.

More
01 Aug 2021 07:19 - 01 Aug 2021 07:25 #237213 by lightning
What appears to be happening now with the Jimny is, owners are looking at the prices being asked and putting theirs on Ebay at £30,000+

ln a sense you can't blame people if they think they might trouser a £10,000 profit.

l predict a Wall Street Crash as potential buyers rebel, won't pay the £30,000+ and prices start to fall with people trying to dump their Jimny on to the market before it's too late

Compounded by the first Jimnys coming out of their PCP agreements this year, causing an over supply situation.

Plus the Quantitive Easing by Suzuki, effectively flooding the market with Commercials
Last edit: 01 Aug 2021 07:25 by lightning.

More
01 Aug 2021 10:39 #237215 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Jimny prices

How does the Lada Niva compare?

Roger
LHD, poor towing capcity (1000kg), limited availability of used models, classic car ownership experience and pricing. I think I'll end up with a Vitara and have to live with the limited off-road ability.

More
01 Aug 2021 10:44 #237216 by lightning
You can get a very nice Defender for half the current price of a Jimny
And it will last you forty years.

More
01 Aug 2021 11:55 #237218 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Jimny prices
When you say a defender will last you forty years you are, of course, referring to the "Triggers Broom" variant.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
01 Aug 2021 11:56 #237219 by Roger Fairclough
And how much would you need to spend on it during those 40 years?

Roger

More
01 Aug 2021 12:11 #237220 by Roger Fairclough
With reference to Martins comment, I am reminded of the owner of a new LR Ninety (5 pot engine) who I met on a lane in Shropshire. I was in my LC and the conversation came round to reliability. He told me that his motor had required a new wiring harness as the original one had burnt out and a new cylinder head as the original one had warped.

"But," he said smiling, "it's been absolutely reliable".

Roger

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds