BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

m13a to m15a swap

• Saltwood
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2021 08:22 #234222 by Saltwood
m13a to m15a swap was created by Saltwood
g'day everyone.

My little 2016 Jimny  M13A VVT engine spat a rod at about 110ks and made a nice little hole in the block so i thought it would be a great opurtunity to upgrade to a larger engine. I managed to find an M15A with about 180k, will hone bores and replace rings and bearings and timing chain and guides etc.
my questions are:
:Can i use my M13A Cylinder head and cams (are they the same) 
:Should i use my M13A throttle body and injectors 
:Is it worth installing Headers?
:Is there a workshop manual available anywhere? auto shop told me they dont make them.

Cheers
Shaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Apr 2021 15:59 #234231 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic m13a to m15a swap
Welcome to the forum. What is making you want to open up the new motor? My m13a is on 111500 miles and when I had the head gasket replaced apparently the bores and such are alleged to be virtually unworn. As for the switch its just the long block that is actually needed everything else is retained from the Jimny.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Apr 2021 20:47 - 04 Apr 2021 20:48 #234243 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic m13a to m15a swap
it is just the same as a m16a swap that you will find alot on in here. headers is not so muh a point if you want to retain the cat and pass MOT. mine have passed MOT with a single not original cat down below and an empty original header. but with a proper mot instrument and unlucky with the fault codes and sensors and you may have to get the original cat to pass mot. mine were broken but passed..

Only very rarely we here of m-series engines with problems.
I would not open the m15a either, I second what Lambert says.
You will need most of the outside bits from your m13a engine, oilpan, manifolds++ use the m15 injectors.
I dunno what car your engine comes from, but it is easiest if it is period correct and most like your m13a.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2021 20:48 by yakuza.

• Saltwood
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2021 11:55 #234254 by Saltwood
Replied by Saltwood on topic m13a to m15a swap
The guy i got the M15A (swift engine) said he replaced rings and bearings, i had to swap the oil pans and in doing so noticed how dirty the inside was. So head removed and further inspection showed rings not replaced, i dont think pistons have been removed.
Being an engine reconditoner for 25 years this isnt a problen for me.
cheers for advice on using M15A injectors.
Lambert, when you say only long block required does this mean the cylinder heads are different.
My 13a head is in much better condition. but possibly cam grinds are different to suit larger engines and Jimny vs Swift.
Actually wondering if the blocks are the same and only crank, rods and pistons different.

More
05 Apr 2021 13:19 #234256 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic m13a to m15a swap
Lambert meant you only use the longblock from the donor, the rest is from the m13a. There is not much difference between the heads. The cam shaft if different is my guess the only thing,but guess only.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds