BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Turbocharging

More
23 Mar 2021 22:57 #233971 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:Turbocharging
I agree with Scimike i work at a place that design and make performance turbos for oil burners it takes time on the dyno to sort out something that is already turboed much money's

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2021 09:57 #233976 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Turbocharging

Mike G wrote: What about supercharging?  I've seen a kit for around £2000 (maybe more with shipping).  Pretty much bolt it on your engine and get it on a dyno (as far as I know).  A bit more expensive, but more linear power and you don't have to worry about stressing engine components like you might with a turbo.  A lot more expensive than an engine change, but almost doubles the power apparently.  I've had no experience with this, just what I've read, so someone out there may know much more about it than I do.

A supercharger will stress the engine exactly the same as a turbocharger. A turbo is in fact just an exhaust gas driven supercharger. So you'd need the same amount of control when tuning for either setup.

More
24 Mar 2021 10:15 #233980 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Turbocharging

Scimike wrote: I am no expert on this, but I believe (happy to be told different) that it's more involved than just bolting on a turbo if you want it to still drive and or work.
As a min I would expect a need to lower compression, alter ignition timing and fuel map so you somehow need to gain control of the ECU. Better breathing so exhaust and inlet improvement. That's assuming the cam profile is suitable and the engine is generally upto the BHP increase.
All this  = £££££££££££ and lots of time to develop.
So it's generally cheaper to just fit a better engine or bigger engine with all this sorted for you. 
Tuning is an expensive can of worms that will more often reduce BHP or just move the curve rather than improve over the complete rev range which is ideal. You only know what you have achieve on a rolling road, so that costs also.
No cheap answers at the moment.

I think the answer depends. As in what you are trying to achieve.

Certainly you will need a way to control the fuelling and ideally the ignition. But there are ways of doing this and I think the ECU is remappable anyway.

But you don't as a rule need lower compression to fit a turbo. If you are building for ultimate boost and power figures you would want to do this. But a low pressure setup should work fine. Although there will be a bit of trial and error on how much boost it will handle and how strong the internals are.

You also shouldn't need to touch the exhaust or intake really. Apart from the fitting of the turbo.

More
24 Mar 2021 12:26 #233987 by Old Neil
I only have experience with the G13BB the cast crank can only handle 5 pounds of boost i have no experience with m or k series motor with any performance mods im of the opinion to free up intake and exhaust to get it breathing but that is my opinion modifying vehicles is up to the individual what they want to achieve
G13BB versus GTI crank

• gsalini
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2021 08:49 #234079 by gsalini
Replied by gsalini on topic Re:Turbocharging
How do you know it will only take 5psi? I know someone who boosted to 17psi on a stock G13BB and it took some time for the engine to fail.

More
28 Mar 2021 09:23 #234080 by Old Neil
I was only trusting what other people have reported the crank is only hollow cast thingy I'm sure it can be done and it would be fun but not for a long time young bloke at work turboed a Hyundai getz had lots of fun and smashed 5 motors you could see clearly though one motor
It would be good to hear a step by step report how to turbo a jimny I've enjoyed reading about Dave's build

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds