BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Mud Tyres

• GGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2021 18:29 #233775 by GGB
Mud Tyres was created by GGB
I have a set of 205/70 R15 INSA Turbo off road 4x4 tyres on our Jimny but they are no good in our muddy field.  I am looking at getting a set of BKT Agrimax RT-765TL 200/70 R16 tyres and changing to 16" rims 6" width.
Has anyone any experience of these tyres, or know any better mud tyres suitable for the Jimny??
Where can I get some steel 6" width 16" dieameter wheels to suit Jimny?

Thanks
GGB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Mar 2021 18:53 #233778 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Mud Tyres
Welcome to the forum. Are you planning on using it on road at all? Have you looked at things like the maxxis m8060 trepador, they are available in 205.70r15?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Mar 2021 19:10 - 16 Mar 2021 19:12 #233780 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Mud Tyres
There are lots of tyre options in 215/75R15, which is about the biggest you can fit without a lift.

You may also get better results with the tyre you have by lowering the pressures.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2021 19:12 by saxj.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GGB

• GGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2021 19:39 #233781 by GGB
Replied by GGB on topic Mud Tyres
Thanks for comment Lambert. I have got the 205/70/15 INSA TURBO SPECIAL TRACK 2 MUD TERRAIN 96Q which looks a similar tread pattern to the maxxis m8060 trepador that you kindly suggested. Are the Maxxis far better in mud?

Cheers.

More
16 Mar 2021 20:05 #233782 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Mud Tyres
Hi, 
I personally think you are on the verge of spending £££ on new tyres with only marginal improvement if any. The tyes you have should be good enough if they have enough tread depth, so as suggested already try altering the tyre pressure.
Having said that some "claggy" mud is just impossible, it bungs the tread instantly and reduces traction to ice levels.
But if you want new tyres why not, best place to ask
Hope you find what you need.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• GGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2021 20:24 #233783 by GGB
Replied by GGB on topic Mud Tyres
Thanks Scimike, I agree with your comments and might try reducing the tyre pressure more, thanks to Saxj for that suggestion as well.  There is plenty of tread on the tyres as they are brand new, but we have been really unimpressed with them, the mud did fill up the treads and they were slicks, so totally useless.we have had to use the Disco, on all terrain tyres, to tow it out of the field. 
We don't really use the car on the road, other than fill up with fuel.  
The tyres I am looking at are tractor tread, see photo.  They will go on a 16" wheel and are 686mm diameter, which is fine. 
Thanks all.
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Mar 2021 20:32 #233784 by Lambert
If you are finding that Insa special track are running out of talent in a field then there's really not much else that I can think of that will do much better. It must be really very wet and or clay conditions? Also and this is not meant nastily are you sure the 4x4 system is functioning correctly, it's just that I'm a hill farmer and I travel perfectly adequately on road pattern tyres on my land as long as I don't deliberately drive through the obviously soft ground and carry a little momentum.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Mar 2021 20:49 #233785 by Lambert
Just looking at the bkt you mentioned above and the speed rating is limited to 25 mph which as I understand it is illegal for use on a vehicle that can exceed that speed. Plus it being an agricultural tyre is going to immediately be of interest to the constabulary if they see it on a car in the local petrol station.

More
16 Mar 2021 23:30 #233794 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Mud Tyres
I have searched for 6 x 16 and you just can't get them in UK 
You can import from Japan if you have silly amounts of money

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2021 06:40 #233797 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic Mud Tyres
Are you digging in and creating deep ruts, or are you spinning on top of the ground?
My only real experience with the Jimmy is trialling so we obviously get directed towards the worst ground conditions, we often cross deep ruts, or try to steer out of them, it's hard to imagine conditions that would defeat the Jimmy unless you have ruts which leave you high centred.
In my experience the one thing the Jimmy doesn't like is steep climbs with an axle twister involved, here I think the light weight is a disadvantage. The Jimmy's in our club very rarely need recovery.

More
17 Mar 2021 13:23 #233806 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Mud Tyres

GGB wrote: I have a set of 205/70 R15 INSA Turbo off road 4x4 tyres on our Jimny but they are no good in our muddy field.  I am looking at getting a set of BKT Agrimax RT-765TL 200/70 R16 tyres and changing to 16" rims 6" width.
Has anyone any experience of these tyres, or know any better mud tyres suitable for the Jimny??
Where can I get some steel 6" width 16" dieameter wheels to suit Jimny?

Thanks
GGB

GGB wrote: Thanks Scimike, I agree with your comments and might try reducing the tyre pressure more, thanks to Saxj for that suggestion as well.  There is plenty of tread on the tyres as they are brand new, but we have been really unimpressed with them, the mud did fill up the treads and they were slicks, so totally useless.we have had to use the Disco, on all terrain tyres, to tow it out of the field. 

I just want to check. The tyres you say you have are these?

If so, they are very aggressive mud tyres. You are unlikely to find much better.

A full on Ag tyre might offer a bit more traction, but it is likely to be marginal.

Can I ask, what type terrain/mud are you driving on? Are you in the UK, if so, what area?

You also mentioned about a Discovery on AT's rescuing the Jimny. I assume you meant to drove on the same ground with the Disco?

This would then lead me to also ask:

-Has your Jimny ever been any good off road or have you only just got it?

I ask this as maybe it isn't a tyre thing. Are you certain that 4wd was working? If the vehicle was in 2wd with open axle diffs, you would essentially have 1wd. Which on a slippery muddy hill would get you know where.

More
17 Mar 2021 13:31 #233807 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Mud Tyres

Lambert wrote: Just looking at the bkt you mentioned above and the speed rating is limited to 25 mph which as I understand it is illegal for use on a vehicle that can exceed that speed. Plus it being an agricultural tyre is going to immediately be of interest to the constabulary if they see it on a car in the local petrol station.

Pretty sure it is legal to run lower speed rated tyres. You'd just need to notify your insurance. e.g. Many modern SUV/4x4's have pretty high top speeds, but you can still legally fit and run Mud Terrains on them with lower speed ratings.

For example, my 4.6 Range Rover is rated at 124mph top speed. I believe a set of BFG KM3 MTs are Q speed rated which is only 100mph.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds