BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 Tyre upgrade

More
16 Feb 2021 18:01 #232859 by wjamieson
Replied by wjamieson on topic Gen 4 Tyre upgrade
Who's saying not to use 4WD in slippy conditions? Obviously if it's consistently slippy use 4WD. The problem is that lot's of my driving is in tarmac roads but with frost and potential of ice. In this situation I would prefer AWD, as I believe thier is too much grip for 4WD. Or am I too concerned about Transmission wind up. 

Who if anyone uses 4WD in thier Jimny when driving on primarily clear roads but in freezing conditions so could stumble across ice or black ice? I certainly dont but again maybe I am overly cautious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2021 18:12 #232860 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Gen 4 Tyre upgrade

300bhpton wrote: 4wd should drive a lot better than 2wd in slippery conditions. It isn't just about pulling away. You should have more control at everything, including turning, slowing and stopping.

I'd love to hear why/how 4WD allows more control when slowing and stopping.

More
16 Feb 2021 18:22 - 16 Feb 2021 23:01 #232861 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen 4 Tyre upgrade
It does if you use engine braking rather than using the brakes. It's a must off road as you maintain better control of the vehicle, keep your feet off the brakes until you want to hold it stationary. Correct gear is everything.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 16 Feb 2021 23:01 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Feb 2021 06:21 #232871 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen 4 Tyre upgrade
Last week I was pottering along the main road between two bits of my farm about a mile. The road was dry ish but also shaded in places anyway I'm doing 40ish and suddenly from nowhere an Audi Q3 appears doing probably 60mph plus which about all that bit of road will handle in the dry, so he over takes me and I think to myself good luck mate and off he goes into one of those shaded bits I mentioned and promptly loses it big time, doesn't hit anything but has it full sideways across the road. I arrive at the same bit of road and drive along as normal no fuss and drive past him as he is sat at the side of the road having an anxiety attack.

A Jimny with suitable tyres driving to the conditions is perfectly safe.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Feb 2021 07:14 #232873 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Gen 4 Tyre upgrade
Is that one of those Audis that never needs to indicate either?

More
17 Feb 2021 09:06 #232875 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen 4 Tyre upgrade

fordem wrote:

I'd love to hear why/how 4WD allows more control when slowing and stopping.

It does come down to driving style to some extent. But as already mentioned, using engine braking help a lot. In 2wd this may cause the rear wheels to lock up. 4wd will slow the wheels evenly and generally prevent lockup.

This can be better than using the brakes, as it won't kick the ABS in either.

All these things are true for cornering also. It isn't that you have more grip, but you have the ability to generate more traction. And through that traction you can have greater directional control.

It is for these reasons that 4wd rally cars are substantially faster on loose and slippery surfaces compared to 2wd ones.

You might also find this interesting:

More
17 Feb 2021 10:58 #232882 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Gen 4 Tyre upgrade
The comment earlier concerning road conditions needs a comment. Car makers do their best to produce cars that are as safe as possible but they have no influence on the people who drive them. The biggest nut on a car is sitting behind the steering wheel ! The vehicle could just as easily have been a rear wheel drive BMW. It's likely the driver panicked and applied the brakes instead of driving out of trouble.

Any car with suitable tyres driven in a manner to suit the conditions is as safe as we can make it.

Nothing is perfectly safe.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Feb 2021 16:58 #232901 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen 4 Tyre upgrade
That was my point. Drive with a death wish and you will get what you are looking for. Apply a little more thought and you should be fine. I understand it is called defensive driving.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds