BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2019 Jimny Vs 2002

More
30 Jan 2021 15:04 #232355 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002

Lambert wrote: Back on point. Personally I think the gen4 is trying too hard to be Retro and Cool, it also has too many driver distractions, sorry I mean driver aids. These gizmos seem to be cheap versions befitting the rrp of the car but consequently they are evidently not particularly user friendly, tpms and auto headlamps spring immediately to mind. Compared with my leviathan which has all these and was similar money age for age it being a Toyota the tech works seamlessly and unobtrusively. Also the 150 cruiser looks like a new Japanese car instead of something that would fit in in the 1980s.

I know I have a Gen 4 and you have a Gen 3. But I don't really agree with this. I don't think it is "trying" to be anything other than what it is. It has no gimmicks or fakeness in its design.

Things like TPMS is a Type Approval requirement isn't it? So you'll find it on all cars I'd have thought. The auto headlights are optional to use, so you can have them like an older car at the turn of a switch. Although personally I think they work well and certainly aren't an issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2021 15:37 #232356 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
TPMS is obligatory and I am surprised that the fitting of them has been dragged into this discussion. It is a safety feature and it's operating principles set by Government.

Roger

More
30 Jan 2021 15:53 #232357 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
tpms would have a fit on my gen3 (if fitted)
just checked my tyres 18,17,15,9 psi 
My tyre walls are so strong the tyres all sit the same 
Also drives the same with 20 psi in all 4 tyres 

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jan 2021 16:32 #232358 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
I don't object to the driver aids, my land cruiser has them in abundance. However there's been many threads about the automatic headlamps flashing on and off too much etc and even more threads about the inflexibility of the tpms system and its inability to be reset for lower off road pressure etc. If I'm spending good money on a new ish car I want it to work in its intended environment which is both on and off road for a 4x4. As to the look of the gen4 it's entirely subjective, I happen not to be impressed by it, that's my opinion.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Goatboy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2021 17:09 #232359 by Goatboy
Replied by Goatboy on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
Wow, a lot of strong opinions here on this one. Didn't mean to create tension. 

for me at the moment I want a car to be reliable and fun. I won't be modifing it, maybe some better tyres is all. I don't currently have time to tinker so major works is out of the question. Diff locks I didn't feel the need for before. I off roaded my old Jimny a number of times and only needed towing out once. My courage tends to run out before my grip!!

As for looks I just love the latest revision of the Jimny.  Looks great to my eyes. I liked the previous gen too but the new one just looks a bit fresher to me...

Thanks everyone, would love to test drive one but it looks like a few weeks before I can do that....

More
30 Jan 2021 18:20 #232360 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
I like the gen 4
But would only like to own the sz4 version 

More
30 Jan 2021 18:39 - 30 Jan 2021 18:41 #232361 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
l've never met anybody who doesn't love the looks of our Gen 4 Jimny.
The automatic headlamps....well l never use them, you can avoid the "Auto" setting and
just turn them "on"

As for the TPMS on ours at least it's been silent, l've currently got the tyre pressures at 25/26 psi F/R

l've got the same feature on my bike and every time l ride under a tree the DRL switches off and the headlamp comes on.
l got around that by setting it to headlamp on all the time.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2021 18:41 by lightning.

More
30 Jan 2021 23:09 #232364 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002

lightning wrote: l've got the same feature on my bike and every time l ride under a tree the DRL switches off and the headlamp comes on.
l got around that by setting it to headlamp on all the time.

The joys of technology! None of my bikes have that feature, and I get around that by setting the headlamp to on all the time.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds