BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny commercial

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2021 19:13 #232904 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial
My wife and I were paid to bring soft top SJ413's in from Holland in about 87, whilst sitting around in the docks had fun watching them 'loading' new astra estates onto the ship, were pretty well taking off when they hit the ramps then all you could hear were screeching tyres inside the boat. Then one astra would reemerge with the tailgate up and about 8 people inside coming back to get the next lot.
Made us laugh thinking about some old duffer driving round with a 'running in, please pass' notice taped in the back when they were doing about 10000rpm up a ferry ramp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2021 22:35 #232909 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial
So will the commercial jimny be subject to the lower speed limits that vans are subject to now? 

More
17 Feb 2021 23:29 #232910 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial

Groundworker wrote: My wife and I were paid to bring soft top SJ413's in from Holland in about 87, whilst sitting around in the docks had fun watching them 'loading' new astra estates onto the ship, were pretty well taking off when they hit the ramps then all you could hear were screeching tyres inside the boat. Then one astra would reemerge with the tailgate up and about 8 people inside coming back to get the next lot.
Made us laugh thinking about some old duffer driving round with a 'running in, please pass' notice taped in the back when they were doing about 10000rpm up a ferry ramp.

l wonder if this contributed to the poor reliability of these cars. I heard a similar story about loading new Fiat Punto's onto the boat for shipping.
These workers obviously thought it was a laugh to abuse someone else's property. 

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Feb 2021 05:53 #232916 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial

Fossie wrote: So will the commercial jimny be subject to the lower speed limits that vans are subject to now? 

No because they are 4x4 and therefore recognised as dual purpose vehicle and observe car speed limits. They're also classified as car derived vans like a fiesta van. So nothing to worry about.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2021 06:46 #232919 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial
Don't think 4x4 is the criteria, all to do with weight of the vehicle, my Isuzu Dmax is exempt as it's under 2 tonnes, but a chippy I know who has an automatic Hilux got stopped for speeding, he was on a road with a centre overtake lane and assumed it was dual carriageway. Got stopped for 72mph, police said speed limit was 60 but as commercial vehicle he should have been doing 50. Reported him for dangerous driving as they thought as 'professional' driver he should know better.
His pick up is a cement bag heavier than 2 tonnes!!
The rules are on web, I'm not sure if it's based on kerb wright or dry weight, my Dmax is just under by a few kg. Isuzu make quite a thing of it and have posters up in the dealership saying they're exempt.
Think you'd be fine with the Jimny unless you stack two of them up.
If you do have one of the 4x4 pick ups, definitely worth checking it out....

More
18 Feb 2021 08:43 - 18 Feb 2021 08:44 #232920 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial

Fossie wrote: So will the commercial jimny be subject to the lower speed limits that vans are subject to now? 

I only ask  to play devils advocate , many people are not aware that a few years ago the law changed and car derived van term dissapeared, so all vans are now classed as LGV ....hence the small Ford van is called transit connect , etc ....even Astra vans now called combi are LGV and restricted to the lower limits of 50 on normal roads 60 on dual carriageways , though can do 70 on motorways.
  Occassially some Police forces have campaigns and our Berlingos get pulled!      There is a speed camara near Northwich on dual carriageway  set at national speed limit ...70 you think ....until the warning arrived for the van driver for being 10 over .!

Last edit: 18 Feb 2021 08:44 by Fossie.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 Feb 2021 08:55 #232922 by Lambert
Not according to the .Gov website as of this morning. Car derived van is one based on the passenger version and not more than 2 tonnes loaded. Dual purpose is either 4x4 or with a fixed roof second row seats windows and not more than 2.04 tonnes unloaded.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 Feb 2021 08:59 #232923 by Lambert

More
18 Feb 2021 11:07 #232929 by Axholme Lion
Replied by Axholme Lion on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial
It's all a bit academic isn't it? Has anyone EVER been nicked for speeding in a Jimny?
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
18 Feb 2021 11:29 - 18 Feb 2021 11:49 #232931 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial

Axholme Lion wrote: It's all a bit academic isn't it? Has anyone EVER been nicked for speeding in a Jimny?

Yes, I got done in Wales for doing 35mph in a 30mph zone. I had to go to bad boys training school to avoid 3 points . I think where the problem may be is that the police ANPR system will identify the Jimny as a comercial van and apply the lower speed restrictions?
Looking at that link it will depend on how the car has been registered on the V5 document:How to identify a car derived vanCar derived vans are:
  • designed to weigh no more than 2 tonnes when loaded fully
  • based on car designs or the vehicle is built from a platform which has been designed and developed to be built as a car or a van by the same manufacturer
As a general rule, from the outside, these vehicles will look like the size of a car, but on the inside the vehicle will look like and function as a van, because:
  • there will be no rear seats, rear seat belts or mountings
  • there will be a payload area with floor panel in the rear of the vehicle
  • there will be no side windows in the rear of the vehicle - or if present, side windows will be opaque and fixed (with no means of opening or closing)
If your van is a CDV, it will be recorded as such under ‘body type’ on the vehicle’s registration document (V5C). If there is any other entry under ‘body type’ the vehicle is not registered as a car derived van and will be subject to speeds lower than the national limits.Speed limitsCar derived vans are the only light commercial (goods) vehicles which are subject to the same  speed limits  as a car.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2021 11:49 by Foxtrot.

More
18 Feb 2021 12:01 #232933 by Roger Fairclough
V00130 for mine.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 Feb 2021 12:46 #232938 by Lambert
Having been driving a pre registration converted Jimny van for the last 10 years without issue i would suggest that cdv is slightly academic as a Jimny is a dual purpose vehicle having been manufactured with engine power available to all wheels same as my 155 prado commercial, too heavy for cdv but being 4x4 car speed applies. If I get pulled under the pretext of commercial speed limits then this is the first thing that will be pointed out.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds