BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Now this jimny I can enjoy

More
26 Jan 2021 09:40 #232205 by Roger Fairclough
A careful look at the video makes me think that the portal axle casings are die cast alloy. The use of steel bracings and the ease in which the technician hefted them into place would also suggest that this is the case.

Whilst on this case and with the low service life of kingpin bearings a problem area for this type of conversion, are the standard kingpin taper roller bearings normal or heavy duty? Also has anyone come up with a conversion using an oilite bearing? Such kits are available from the States for LandCruisers.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Jan 2021 10:17 #232207 by Lambert
You mean like a railko? bush in a land rover?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Jan 2021 11:15 #232208 by Roger Fairclough
Yes and no. The company is Trail-Gear and the product is a "Trunnion Bearing Eliminator Kit". Instead of a taper roller or railko bearing it uses a cone in a cup system made from hardened high carbon steel that is machined with grease grooves and zerk fittings for lubrication. They don't mention how often you pump grease in but it will come down to how often you feel it needs it. Current price is $400 which is way to much which would make me consider heavy duty taper roller bearings in stainless steel. A friend runs his own bearing shop and told me that they may be available but to expect a 25% reduction in load capacity. These would eliminate corrosion but the reduced load capacity would increase the brinelling effect.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Jan 2021 12:27 #232210 by Lambert
Purely for academic interest it would be interesting to see what the static and dynamic loading imposed on the kingpin bearings was and then if it were possible to use either a stainless or ceramic option that didn't corrode every day ending in y.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Jan 2021 14:32 #232212 by Roger Fairclough
On top of the hub housing on the LC there was a tapered threaded hole blanked off with a suitable plug. I never inquired what it was for but used it to inject EP oil into the housing to try and lengthen the life of the kingpin bearings. It didn't work very well, the oil leaked out and water leaked in. I then considered removing the rollers and substituting an oilite bearing but never got round to doing it. I think the army had the right idea when it specified a boot to enclose the ball of the hub to stop water getting
in. It would have worked even better if it was made of neoprene or similar.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds