BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Now this jimny I can enjoy

More
14 Jan 2021 16:42 - 14 Jan 2021 16:53 #231804 by lookonimages
I know saxj will enjoy it to

Realy like those portal axle "bolt on" modification.

Your thoughts on this build.?
Last edit: 14 Jan 2021 16:53 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Jan 2021 16:54 #231807 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Now this jimny I can enjoy
Hmmm portal axle conversion!

Sorry my mind wondered off for a second there.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Jan 2021 17:16 #231812 by lookonimages

Lambert wrote: Hmmm portal axle conversion!

Sorry my mind wondered off for a second there.

Jip just "bolt on"
No need for a full axle swap.

My mind is in a "swamp" now. :)

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

• Lambert
    Registered
More
14 Jan 2021 17:23 #231813 by Lambert
The only thing is from what I can find tibus seem to be very good at supporting projects on YouTube that get them advertised but they are not so good at dealing with normal civilians wanting meaningful advice or sales. Also I would expect the boxes to be murder on kingpin bearings.

More
14 Jan 2021 17:34 #231814 by lookonimages

Lambert wrote: The only thing is from what I can find tibus seem to be very good at supporting projects on YouTube that get them advertised but they are not so good at dealing with normal civilians wanting meaningful advice or sales. Also I would expect the boxes to be murder on kingpin bearings.

Never knew about tibus and the bolt on portal axle parts.

Anyway if is not your daily drive, and just your weekend warrior then I can live with the impact on kingpin bearings.

Would love that extra clearance.

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2021 19:14 #231818 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic Re:Re:Now this jimny I can enjoy
Portal axles....Jimnymog

Would be awesome.

More
15 Jan 2021 09:58 #231827 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Now this jimny I can enjoy

lookonimages wrote: I know saxj will enjoy it to

Realy like those portal axle "bolt on" modification.

Your thoughts on this build.?

If it is intended as a swamp monster, then all good. I doubt those bolt on portals would stand the off-roading that I like to do. 
Also you are going to end up with a vehicle like a Unimog where your top speed is limited to 80kph. That wouldn't work for me either. 

More
15 Jan 2021 13:01 #231833 by Roger Fairclough
:)In the film "The Dirty Dozen" Donald Sutherland, aka a general, says to Robert Ryan, a colonel, "Very nice colonel, but can they fight". This was in reference to Ryans squad of so called "Elite" soldiers.

This is how I feel about this motor, it's a show stopper for sure but would it cut the mustard in the real world? It's center of gravity has been raised to far and who needs 8 lamps on the roof edge? As well as being unnecessary they are illegal. Why blank out the side and rear windows unless you like gloomy interiors and that paint job would be murder to repair.
The portal axles would put enormous strain on the axle tubes and one good bounce could be catastrophic. The drivetrain throughout is not designed to cope with the extra loadings and somethings got to give.
Driving across a flat grass field proves nothing. Lets see them take on a proper off-road course.
Mind you I do like the bumpers. :)

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
15 Jan 2021 13:36 #231835 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Now this jimny I can enjoy
This has been my problem with tibus portal boxes yes they look cool and obviously do function but any requests for meaningful detail information never amount to anything for instance what half shafts do they recommend, what grade steel are the casings etc.

More
17 Jan 2021 17:42 #231884 by lookonimages

Lambert wrote: This has been my problem with tibus portal boxes yes they look cool and obviously do function but any requests for meaningful detail information never amount to anything for instance what half shafts do they recommend, what grade steel are the casings etc.

Send them yesterday an email. Was actually answered today. I will definately further pursue this. I am luckily not serious off roader that will test it to the max. Fòr my purposes it might work. Everyone have his own unique requirements.

More
26 Jan 2021 03:22 - 26 Jan 2021 03:23 #232190 by Rabid Rhino
How timely.
I finally started fitting mine to my 2000 soft top this weekend.
The kit includes new front HD half shafts and new rear full floating HD half shafts.
Rear disc brake conversion is standard but you have to supply discs and hubs. 
Lift is 4" - 4.5" which should clear 31s on which clearance under the diff will be like your on 40s
Daniel Tibus replys promptly. 
I should start a thread. Maybe post the instructions that are a lot clearer than my photos.

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2021 03:23 by Rabid Rhino.

More
26 Jan 2021 06:17 #232194 by zukebob
Rabid Rhino. I'm definitely not going to prejudge portal axles for the Jimny and there just aren't a lot of documented experiences. I would however echo both Lambert's and Roger's concerns.

I look forward to seeing something not only more detailed in installation but also some feedback on actual use.

Thanks

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds