BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Modifying my Jimny

• DerkDiglett
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2020 22:55 #231008 by DerkDiglett
Modifying my Jimny was created by DerkDiglett
Hi Everyone,

I have bought my first Jimny! She is called Little Blue and is a 55 plate convertible.

I’m really happy with how she drives and will be using her as my new run around car to and from work (which is 7 miles away).

I am thinking about beefing her up next year to make her look like a rough and tough off-roader, even though I know as standard these machines are more than capable, and I am looking for advice please.

At the moment I am thinking of lifting her up as high as possible, without impeding stability, and putting the biggest tyres I can on her without putting too much strain on the car. This car will be driven on roads 99% of the time.

I know absolutely nothing about cars but am keen to learn and would love to do as much work as I can myself.

Are there any guides/books/videos that anyone could recommend for me to do this work please?

If anyone is interested I can put some pictures of Little Blue up if this helps?

Thanks everyone and I look forward to hearing back from you.

DerkDigglet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2020 23:23 #231010 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Modifying my Jimny
Hi and welcome along.
You can achieve a tough off road look without going extreme and suffering the negative impacts this will have for road use.
A high lifted vehicle is going to be less stable requiring a slower drive, which you will get as the 1.3 engine struggles to move your larger tyres. This slow speed will however help with the poor fuel economy :laugh:
Just some facts about going too big for a road use vehicle, try a few cosmetic changes first.
A set of AT tyres, snorkel and roof rack make the vehicle look more off road ready without impacting road manners.
Not trying to be a fun sponge.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DerkDiglett

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Dec 2020 05:48 #231014 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Modifying my Jimny
Welcome to the forum. I get the aesthetic aspects of wanting to change up a Jimny but honestly any modifications have consequences. Suzuki put a lot of time in on making the Jimny a good compromise between it's intended uses. Making it better with modifications aimed at one aspect will make it worse at others. That being said at 15 years old it's probably going to be quite tired in certain areas especially if it's not really been cared for. So to that end I would look at refreshing the suspension bushes and steering joints, the road springs will also have settled so even standard height replacement will lift it up, it's also a certainty that the dampers will need attention for which there are plenty of really good quality after market options these days. Add this to a set of premium tyres and suddenly you have a Jimny that eats everything and with a little skilled driving can go places a badly modified one would struggle.

It is possible to turn a Jimny into the Hulk, but it's just as easy to turn it into the Abomination. But for just mooching down the street Bruce Banner is a much better alternative. Oh and before anyone asks it might be possible to create a Smart Hulk Jimny but despite a few people getting close I don't think anyone has really got there yet.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DerkDiglett

• DerkDiglett
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2020 08:20 #231017 by DerkDiglett
Replied by DerkDiglett on topic Modifying my Jimny
Morning Lambert,

I think those improvements would be a great start and thank you for the warnings! I definitely do not want to ruin my car by going over the top!

Thanks again,

Derk

• DerkDiglett
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2020 08:39 #231020 by DerkDiglett
Replied by DerkDiglett on topic Modifying my Jimny
Morning Mike,

That sounds like a great start! Thank you for your advice on this!

Thanks again,

Derk

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Dec 2020 09:02 #231023 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Modifying my Jimny
Thing is my Dreadnaught is primarily a tool for farming which to some should mean lumpy tyres are loads of suspension but in reality it is road tyres so I can stop in the rain when towing a twin axle sheep trailer, it's standard height suspension so that said trailer sits nicely behind the car. OK so I have some Gucci components like trailmaster dampers and avm manual hubs but they are more for reliability and performance than anything else. I also have armour plates on the underside not so much for impact defence as much as for acting as skids to help not get hung up on things. Now all that works for me in my situation where I'm on a combination of sealed roads, grass and rocks. It wouldn't work as well if I were on peat or slick clay or deep loam but a Jimny that could cope with those may well be a handful on a wet road with a trailer. Horses for courses.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 Dec 2020 10:06 #231025 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Modifying my Jimny
Hi and welcome
I have have a rather heavily modified one suited to my needs
Mpg is around 20 to the gallon
My advice would be new standard suspension and a 2" body lift and 215/75/15 AT
This would give you the look without all the cost of doing suspension changes correct
But before all of the above sort out any rust issues it may have

Lots of people spend hundreds on mods to find at next mot it's a scrap vehicle

More
19 Dec 2020 11:20 #231031 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Modifying my Jimny
I literally do as I please with mine.

It started out as a standard car and things "developed" from there......I don't do standard.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds