BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny phone cradle. Beware.!!

More
18 Dec 2020 07:07 #230976 by lookonimages
Installed this cradle and idea seems to be great BUT beware it can create chaotic situation.

Find that the least of bumps pop up the phone and next moment it is between your feet while driving.

I will have to make a plan urgently as it is niw 3rd time phone ended up between my feet.

Even a fast pull away on a very slow jimny pop the phone over tumbling down to your feet. :)

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Dec 2020 07:20 #230977 by Lambert
Good to know. Saves me from buying something similar for my gen3.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Dec 2020 07:59 #230978 by lookonimages
It is great concept, but phone is not secure. Will add elastic band or something to keep from being lodged from cradle.

More
18 Dec 2020 08:39 - 18 Dec 2020 08:42 #230980 by lightning
Put a strip of velcro on the back of the phone and on the holder.

You won't need much, maybe a 1/2 inch piece at each end of the phone will hold it securely without being too hard to take off the holder.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2020 08:42 by lightning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
18 Dec 2020 08:59 #230981 by lookonimages

lightning wrote: Put a strip of velcro on the back of the phone and on the holder.

You won't need much, maybe a 1/2 inch piece at each end of the phone will hold it securely without being too hard to take off the holder.

This forum always come up with practical solutions

More
18 Dec 2020 09:18 #230982 by Soeley
I already had a magnetic holder on the little tray in front of the gearstick, so plate already attached to my phone. I have added some small magnets to the dash top tray and that hold it very firmly, even while off road.

Can just about make it out in the top right of this picture.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
18 Dec 2020 10:56 #230986 by lookonimages

Soeley wrote: I already had a magnetic holder on the little tray in front of the gearstick, so plate already attached to my phone. I have added some small magnets to the dash top tray and that hold it very firmly, even while off road.

Can just about make it out in the top right of this picture.

That magnets is also a great idea.

More
18 Dec 2020 13:13 #230995 by Bill Portland
My phone is too big to fit in the slot so I'm using a magnetic mount, fitted to the passenger grab handle.

More
18 Dec 2020 13:40 #230997 by DrRobin
I thought they looked cool, but won't fit a Gen 3, so I made my own, but check out the Olixar universal tray in my post

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...dashboard-tray-gen-3

It is very sticky and that really is it stuck to the convervatory window. It is now used as well as my home tray as the phone holder is really good and doesn't move at all.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
18 Dec 2020 17:44 - 18 Dec 2020 17:46 #231000 by 300bhpton

lookonimages wrote: Installed this cradle and idea seems to be great BUT beware it can create chaotic situation.

Find that the least of bumps pop up the phone and next moment it is between your feet while driving.

I will have to make a plan urgently as it is niw 3rd time phone ended up between my feet.

Even a fast pull away on a very slow jimny pop the phone over tumbling down to your feet. :)

I have a similar try, I've found the phone rarely falls out. Can even do some mild off roading. There are certain types of bumps that cause an issue, usually ones that compress both sides of the front axle at the same time.

Here you can see me using the holder in my roadtest review without issue.

Phone is an iPhone 11.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2020 17:46 by 300bhpton.

More
20 Dec 2020 09:31 - 20 Dec 2020 09:35 #231048 by lookonimages
Added the magnet. Work like a charm. Tried a few speed bumps and cant get is dislodged.

I however drilled hole so it sit flush with the panel. Backside it is glued to panel.

Found one to be ample for my need

Last edit: 20 Dec 2020 09:35 by lookonimages.

More
20 Dec 2020 09:41 #231049 by Soeley
Good stuff, I just stuck mine on the surface to try it out so used 4 magnets to stop the phone rocking on them. I did think of drilling them flush like you have but plan on fitting a magnet inside the hump.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds