BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Steering Damper

More
07 Dec 2020 15:01 #230730 by Martinm
Steering Damper was created by Martinm
Hi All,

I am having trouble locating a return to centre steering damper in the uk, can anyone advise me were I may be able to purchase one.

In anticipation Martinm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Dec 2020 17:36 #230735 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Steering Damper
Hi Martin.

I bought a terrafirma one designed for a defender which fits pretty well using some home made brackets and does what it says on the tin. Damper/spring setup was about £65 i think from ebay. Model TF835.

I have taken it off recently however and havent felt the need to put it back on yet. The return to centre spring is a bit odd at first as it will centre even when not moving and all a damper really does is mask another problem on the car (i.e. worn kingpins/wheel bearings/steering rods/panhard, etc)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martinm

More
07 Dec 2020 18:13 - 07 Dec 2020 18:13 #230737 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Steering Damper
Assuming you simply want a damper, at what point in the potential suspension modification chain do you need a RTC damper?

I only ask out of interest as I have a standard (LR Defender) damper on my unmodified GEN3 and the steering is just fine, no need for RTC assistance.

Is it tyre size or lift that make the difference, anyone know?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 07 Dec 2020 18:13 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martinm

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Dec 2020 19:10 #230741 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Steering Damper
Rtc is of debatable importance on a Jimny even a big one with huge tyres. A better solution is to size the wheels and tyres so they don't drastically screw up the scrub radius, that way the tyres don't offer more resistance than necessary. It's not impossible to have big tyres and nice light steering.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
07 Dec 2020 20:15 #230742 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Steering Damper
l've got an RTC steering damper on my Defender 110 and it's an improvement for road use as it makes the steering self centre better.

lt also improves matters on the motorway, with no need for constant steering correction.

Off road l can't really tell any difference, but l only have the standard wheels and tyres.
The Defender 110 is a large and heavy vehicle.

Not sure it would be needed at all on a Jimny, unless you are running monster wheels/tyres on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike, Martinm

More
08 Dec 2020 11:09 - 08 Dec 2020 12:44 #230751 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Steering Damper

lightning wrote: l've got an RTC steering damper on my Defender 110 and it's an improvement for road use as it makes the steering self centre better.

lt also improves matters on the motorway, with no need for constant steering correction.

Off road l can't really tell any difference, but l only have the standard wheels and tyres.
The Defender 110 is a large and heavy vehicle.

Not sure it would be needed at all on a Jimny, unless you are running monster wheels/tyres on it.

Not wanting to sound confrontational. But I think there might be something wrong with your Defender if a return to centre steering damper makes it drive better on the motorway.

I suspect you have a more serious issue to address, that the damper is simply hiding. Else if it was that simple to change motorway behaviour, Land Rover would have fitted return to centre dampers on factory models. And they never did. Not even on the more road biased Discovery and Range Rover offerings, which all use essentially the same steering setup.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2020 12:44 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

More
08 Dec 2020 18:48 - 08 Dec 2020 18:57 #230774 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Steering Damper
Nope, it's all good.

New genuine Puma springs and Terrafirma adjustable dampers, new swivel balls and swivel preload adjusted, new tyres on genuine LR boost alloys, new radius arm bushes, new ARB bushes, everything else checked.

lt drives fine without the RTC steering damper, l just find it better with one for road use. l prefer the increased self centre on the steering mainly.

On the motorway it's fine either way but again seems like less effort is needed to keep it in the same lane.

Without the RTC steering damper it still self centres, just not as well.

This is particularly noticeable on the extensive urban driving that l do, which involves much turning and reversing on to customers drives.

lt's just personal preference l guess. l've done around 70,000 miles in the Defender and nothing's changed. l imagine the RTC steering damper would be detrimental during off road driving, which is why LR didn't fit one.

There's lots of things Land Rover could have done to make Defender better, but they didn't do it. Also it was never really designed for use as a car.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2020 18:57 by lightning.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds