BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny prices about to tumble?

• Chrisp
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2020 09:54 #229089 by Chrisp
New Jimny prices about to tumble? was created by Chrisp
Hello, I am a long time lurker and first time poster...

I have had several mk3 jimnys, but the mk4 is what I really want. I was on the waiting list right at the start however a new baby meant that I couldn't afford the expense of a new car, so I got my deposit back thinking i'll just wait a year or two and the prices will fall....

They didn't.

I have been watching the prices in Japan and they are starting to plummet, you can get a 660cc for around £11k or a 1500cc for £15k, with shipping cost, IVA test, import duty and VAT that works out as around £16k for a 660cc on the road in the UK, or a 1500cc for about 22k. There does not seem to be any difference in prices between auto and manual in Japan, so if your after a manual it probably doesn't make sense to import (yet), but if your after an auto or want the kei car version its starting to look like an attractive option.

I suspect that prices in Japan will get to a point in the next few months where it makes far more sense to grey import a JDM car rather than pay the insane prices people are asking for the UK cars.

I suspect that when the UK starts getting flooded with grey imports prices are going to fall significantly.

Is there something that I am missing here? Let me know your thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2020 10:00 #229091 by mlines
Are those new prices in Japan or used?

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Chrisp
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2020 10:24 #229093 by Chrisp
Replied by Chrisp on topic New Jimny prices about to tumble?
Used prices.

More
13 Oct 2020 10:57 #229095 by mlines
I dont think they will "tumble"

The "new" costs on the forecourt will probably drop as it seems a lot priced around £24000 have hung around a long time without selling.

I think it will be a slow creep downwards.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Oct 2020 11:54 #229097 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Still seems to be an expensive option paying list price for a second hand none uk car? Cool if you want a kei one but I can't see it making a dent in general uk prices any time soon?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Chrisp
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2020 15:41 #229104 by Chrisp
Replied by Chrisp on topic New Jimny prices about to tumble?
Yes I may be totally wrong, but looking at the prices being asked in the UK I think it's a cheaper option (if you want the auto or the kei car) . Depends also if you want the hassle and the risk of buying a car sight unseen also. I'm going to wait to see if the Japanese prices keep falling and maybe import an auto if they do.

More
13 Oct 2020 17:26 #229105 by Scimike
They should creep down, don't know the time scale though. The second hand market appears to have plenty on offer at the moment which should pressure prices in the down direction. It's also an uncertain market with covid, more people with less cash to spend, so again another reason for a down hill trend. I guess those that really want one and have the cash will have purchased by now, only leaving those that want a better deal and are in no rush.
So the signs say down, but this is irrelevant if they actually don't. :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
13 Oct 2020 18:36 #229106 by DrRobin
If I was to go to the hassle of importing a car from Japan it would need to either something special (I.e. not available here) or be at a big discount.

£22k for a used car with no warranty and possibly spec differences versus £24k new with full warranty is not too attractive.

Ask yourself what happens if something goes wrong?

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Oct 2020 07:26 #229112 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic New Jimny prices about to tumble?
The import will be worth less come resale time, too.

More
14 Oct 2020 08:35 #229117 by lightning
l think prices will stay strong indefinitely for the Jimny, although they will fall from the somewhat silly prices being asked currently by some dealers.

l've seen Jimnys being advertised at over £30,000.
l actually complained to Suzuki about it but they said there was nothing they could do, as the dealers had pre registered the vehicles.

More
14 Oct 2020 08:51 #229118 by Gadget
I'd expect them to settle a bit by mid 2021, but with residuals still being very strong for a non-supercar. I'd be surprised to see even early 2019 cars dropping below £15k, with a particular premium for SZ5 autos, which seem to be few and far between.

Although trade pricing sites don't reflect the current bubble, they're still showing the Jimny as having hugely better residuals than equivalent cars. A Dacia Duster in 4x4 Comfort spec or Ford Ecosport of a similar age/condition is worth about £4k less second hand than a Jimny, despite costing more new.

More
14 Oct 2020 12:22 - 14 Oct 2020 12:26 #229123 by lightning
l paid £24,000 for our 2020 SZ5 with around £1,000 of extras on it.
l bought it from a member on this forum.
So that's around £4,000 over list price. l thought about it for a while but it was still a better deal than the new car alternatives, which would have lost thousands in value already.
l've had three serious offers from neighbours to buy the Jimny at what we paid for it.
But it's not for sale. As l would just have to find another one, and while l have seen them cheaper, the possible savings wouldn't be worth the
effort.
My local Suzuki dealer is selling their demonstrator at £21,000 but it's a 7,000 mile 2018 ex press fleet one. Although we tried it and it drove great, just like our 1,300 mile 2020 one in fact.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2020 12:26 by lightning.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds