BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

My Jimny days appear to be over!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Sep 2020 05:28 #228636 by Lambert
I blame covid19. If you hadn't been locked down you would have been out and about more over the summer and using your tractor instead of having to look at it from the window and talking yourself out of it!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2020 16:13 #228651 by DrRobin
The law on driving without an MOT

If your MOT has expired, the only circumstances in which you can drive it is directly to the garage for its test or to and from somewhere to be repaired. If you're stopped on the way by police, you must be able to prove that you have an appointment booked at the garage.

If your car fails its MOT you can only continue to drive it if the previous year's MOT is still valid - which might occur if you submitted the car for its test two weeks early. You can still drive it away from the testing centre or garage if no 'dangerous' problems were identified during the MOT. You will otherwise need to get the necessary repairs carried out. Remember your car must always meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.

So you could take it for MOT or somewhere that could weld it and then give it an MOT, but I understand all of the other problems. Such a shame though.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• mic888
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2020 09:54 #228692 by mic888
Replied by mic888 on topic My Jimny days appear to be over!
Sad news, you should buy a welder and learn to weld, would be such a shame to see the jimny get scrapped its such a nice truck. If you have seen my thread on my jimny you will see my jimny was a rot box when i bought it and iv welded it all up. I love d2’s but 2 of my mate’s have them that i go out with they are capable off road And comfortable but Mega unreliable they are always Breaking down. Hope you get sorted with whatever decision you make. :)

More
03 Oct 2020 19:42 #228746 by kirkynut

mic888 wrote: Sad news, you should buy a welder and learn to weld, would be such a shame to see the jimny get scrapped its such a nice truck. If you have seen my thread on my jimny you will see my jimny was a rot box when i bought it and iv welded it all up. I love d2’s but 2 of my mate’s have them that i go out with they are capable off road And comfortable but Mega unreliable they are always Breaking down. Hope you get sorted with whatever decision you make. :)

Cheers! What problems have they had with their D2's?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Oct 2020 21:01 #228754 by Lambert
As a mate please don't get a disco 2. We had one for 6 months of which it spent 4 months with the dealership under warranty. The rear self levelling suspension didn't, the charging circuit didn't, the lighting circuit was afraid of the dark and it would stall coming out of the drive every day with a y in it unless you made the clutch smell by dragging the life out of it. They bought it back for 200 quid less than we paid. Couldn't give it back fast enough.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Oct 2020 21:18 - 03 Oct 2020 21:34 #228755 by lightning
As with any vehicle, you can get good or bad.

My 2005 Defender is definitely a good one, l bought it at 9 years old and 56,000 miles.
lt's now on 123,000 and apart from routine maintenance it's never let me
down and has never needed my RAC membership.

Discovery 2 is the same, good and bad, sadly the bad ones outweigh the good ones.
Discovery rear floors can rot out, and the earlier TD5 engine was prone to head gasket failure.
Don't forget these vehicles are now all at least 15 years old and have in many cases been hammered for most of their lives.

Few Defenders or Discovery's were looked after, and they need to be
really. After twenty years of farm use, horse box towing, off road pay and play sites, and a service once a year if they are lucky, it's not surprising many of them are sheds now.

Sadly Land Rovers were not always great from new, it was luck of the draw as to what yours was like.

We had a Defender new in 2006 and it was fine for the eight years we owned it. Went back twice, once for the wipers and once for a vibration in the driveline.

lt's generally accepted that Freelander 2 was Land Rover's best product.

But they are a bit dull. l would say Defender over Discovery 2 mainly because it's easier to
see what you are getting and easier to fix the faults.
Budget £2,000 on top of the purchase price to get it right.

Don't buy TDCi
Buy TD5 from 2002 (after the dash update and better engine) also it was improved again in late 2004 with better one piece doors that don't rust.
The XS Station Wagon is the one to go for. Prices start at £14,000 for good ones.
The hard top (van) version is £2-3,000 cheaper and you can fit the rear windows and seats for around £1,000

Get a good one and it will last until you give up driving.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2020 21:34 by lightning.

More
03 Oct 2020 21:34 - 03 Oct 2020 21:36 #228756 by kirkynut
I've done much reading on the Disco 2 and as such I'm well aware of the issues.

My flavour would be V8 petrol with no LPG to complicate matters. I'd ditch the rear airbags in favour of shocks and springs and ideally it would be manual, but not many came in manual. I'd also ditch the ACE system in favour of a normal anti roll bar.

As such, most if the D2 issues will be gone.

I don't do many miles and it will be a dedicated greenlaning vehicle.

If I were to find a rust free 300 tdi I'd get that but I've got as much chance of winning the lottery.

I've looked at pick ups but they're expensive. The cheapest appears to be the Ford Ranger.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 03 Oct 2020 21:36 by kirkynut.

More
03 Oct 2020 22:09 #228757 by lightning
D2 is still cheap but prices are going up for good ones.
Good Defender 300tdi's are out there but you won't get one for less than £10,000

More
03 Oct 2020 22:17 #228758 by Obarno
Have a look at Jeep Wranglers . I have a 2007 2.8 crd auto which is a good comfy car to drive and comes with air con, cruise etc so quite civilised. They are better priced than Defenders and a lot more comfy and civilised to drive. I do still of course also have my Jimny!

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
03 Oct 2020 23:41 #228760 by lightning
The Wrangler is an option, l've looked at them
myself.
They seem well made and long lasting, although petrol ones are very thirsty.
l wouldn't say no to a LWB Wrangler 2.8 but the post 2011 ones l've looked at are £15,000+

More
04 Oct 2020 19:44 #228793 by kirkynut
Cheers for the suggestions chaps.

I don't want a Defender as I like to be comfortable and I can't afford one anyway.

Have you seen the price of Wranglers? I just looked and the cheapest one on AutoTrader is £6500!

It boils down to a Disco 2 or a pick up of some sort for the space we need. Either that or no new Tractor but I'd like to have something to go laning in.

There is one benefit to LR ownership. That's the club scene and the number of people locally to go laning with, which exceeds other groups. The Disco ticks so many boxes and I really like them - soz Lambert!

We shall see.

Kirkynut

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2020 19:03 - 05 Oct 2020 19:59 #228847 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic My Jimny days appear to be over!
I find It is difficult parting with something that I have put so much energy into. This is similar to having a dying pet put down, you just have to call the vet and say your goodbyes. :(
Last edit: 05 Oct 2020 19:59 by GeorgeC.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds