BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

My Jimny days appear to be over!

More
28 Sep 2020 20:48 - 28 Sep 2020 21:18 #228603 by kirkynut
The MOT on my Jimny is due on 06.10.2020 so I had a pre-MOT poke around a few weeks back. Unfortunately my poking stick found a few holes that shouldn't be there.

I've considered keeping it and learning to weld it up, or getting it welded up, however there's quite a bit and there's a lot to remove to safely weld it up including brake lines (that need replacing too), fuel lines and the fuel tank.

The amount that needs welding and the fact we've outgrown the Jimny as a family means I've made the decision to break it of all the bits worth money and put that money towards a 4wd a bit bigger and more comfortable for greenlaning, which is all we do now.

I've also thought about keeping it as an off-roader and getting a trailer and a tow vehicle / greenlaner but realistically we'll never get to a P&P site as I work most weekends.

So I'll be selling off the cage, rocksliders and rear bumper as a lump as they all mount to each other, once I've cut the rocksliders off the chassis as close as I can.

Eventually the 3" lift with castor correction arms will be put up for sale with the axles, engine, gearbox, Rocklobster with props, seats, wheels and tyres - once I've got it stripped to a point the scrap man can lift the shell and chassis away.

Nothing is for sale yet as it'll take me time to get to that point and I need it to be a rolling chassis or drive until the last minute.

I'll probably pop on here every now and then for the social side of the forum - Lambert needs keeping in check anyway!

I'll try to remember what I know to help out newbies etc but when you don't have the vehicle you tend to forget stuff over time.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 28 Sep 2020 21:18 by kirkynut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2020 20:55 #228604 by Soeley
That's a real shame, is it really that far gone to be repaired?

More
28 Sep 2020 21:16 #228605 by kirkynut
It's metal, so it can be repaired but it's now no longer insured, so I'll Sorn it from 01.10.2020 and will have no MOT, so can't be driven to somewhere for repairs.

At this time I've never welded but intend to learn whilst my boy is now at school but it's not simple bits to weld and to be honest, I'm past laying under cars in peculiar positions fixing them, I'd rather just do the running repairs and maintenance and enjoy using them.

Then there's the fact it's a bit cramped for a family to use too, so what am I going to put that effort into it for? It's worth more in bits than as a whole too.

I'll keep the winch and all my recovery kit for the next one though.

I'm not sure what the next one will be yet but it will likely stay quite standard except for standard sized muds and my winch bolted on the front. Perhaps a Ford Ranger or a Disco 2. The idea of a Disco 2 V8 on coils seems appealing if I can find a rust free one but I'd want to lift it and put bigger tyres on no doubt as I can't help myself! So maybe that's not the best of ideas!

I've got a cheap run around car for the moment to get me around and I'm in no hurry to do anything.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
28 Sep 2020 22:28 #228606 by sniper
What a bummer... rust gets them all in the end... always seen you being positive and I'm glad you'll stay in touch with the forum....

I'll be interested in the lobster box when you get round to breaking it.....

ICE 4x4 is a local outfit that do plenty with Landy's, when you have a budget in mind, let them know, they have always got a few in the yard...

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Sep 2020 05:20 #228608 by Lambert
Really sad news, I'd be surprised if you didn't get offers for it whole, it would be a great project for a competent person?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
29 Sep 2020 06:48 #228609 by kirkynut
@Sniper - cheers mate, I'll contact you first when I'm in a position to sell the Rocklobster.

@Lambert- if someone offers me enough I'll sell it as a whole but I suspect it's unlikely someone will give me the £2k I think I can make out of selling the bits off.

Kirkynut

More
29 Sep 2020 07:57 - 29 Sep 2020 07:58 #228611 by lightning
lf you like the Jimny but want a larger 4x4 have a look at Defenders.
Discovery 2 is an option as you say also, but the Defender is more like the Jimny (l've got a Defender and a Jimny!)
Rust is a problem on all these vehicles, but get a good Defender and it will last you forty years.
One issue is cost, Defender prices are a fair bit higher than Discovery, although good Disco 2's are beginning to go up in value.
lf looking at Defenders it can be cheaper to buy a hardtop and convert it (fit the rear windows and seats) it will cost you around £1,000 to do the conversion but good hardtops are £3,000 less than good Station Wagons.

Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Sep 2020 07:58 by lightning.

More
29 Sep 2020 09:54 #228615 by Scimike
Sorry to hear tin rot has got the better of it.

Fully understand the need for change, but you can find in later life that vehicles that “got under your skin” never go away. Your circumstances eventually change and you want it again. At this point you find they are very expensive to replace, more so with a modified vehicle. You sold the parts for not much money back in the day and now you simply can’t get them anymore.

I am speaking from experience being on the “old side” of life. If I had my time again, had the space and did not need the cash I would have stored them, or at least the modification parts.

So think long and hard before you rush into anything. If its not in the way its not costing you anything. Get a Mig welder (£160) and turn it into a bit of fun, if you make a mess its still scrap, nothing gained, nothing lost.

That said if you are just sick of the sight of it, bin it as quickly as you can and get something more suitable.:laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
29 Sep 2020 15:52 #228621 by kirkynut
@lightning - Defenders are a bit rich for my blood and I would like some comfort too!

@Scimike - welding up a rotten car in the awkward places this needs it would not be fun for me. As I say, I'm past getting in odd positions to fix cars!

I know what you are saying about regretting selling something at a later date and I've been there but I really can't see me building another Jimny in years to come and I don't have the storage space.

Kirkynut

More
29 Sep 2020 17:01 #228622 by Jimny Dr
HI KIRKY NUT
I HAVE A MINT BODYSHELL OF A 2015 MODEL THAT HAS NO ROT AT ALL
MIGHT BE A WAY FORWARD FOR YOU
THANKS JIMNY DR

More
29 Sep 2020 19:49 #228629 by kirkynut

Jimny Dr wrote: HI KIRKY NUT
I HAVE A MINT BODYSHELL OF A 2015 MODEL THAT HAS NO ROT AT ALL
MIGHT BE A WAY FORWARD FOR YOU
THANKS JIMNY DR

Thank you but the chassis has a crack that has rusted too and as I say, we've outgrown the Jimny as a family.

Kirkynut

More
29 Sep 2020 21:41 #228632 by Foxtrot
After four Jimnys in 2011 I changed out for a 4x4 Dacia Duster as we needed a bigger car, a 4x4 diesel Vitara soon followed but all the time I would bob in on the Bigjimny forum to keep up with all things Jimny. In 2020 I bought a GEN4 Jimny as the bigger engine made it suitable for our purposes. You may find yourself in the same situation in the future, as soon as circumstances change you could be back with a Jimny. They are difficult things to forget, as much as the Duster and the Vitara were very good cars they were just a form of transport, the Jimny always felt different and special, it still does...

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds