BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Engine swapping

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2020 20:33 #228421 by ColinTheViking
Engine swapping was created by ColinTheViking
Right the question is straight to the point. 3 options. Advice on the best option and difficulty level.

To gain more horse power...

- turbocharge standard M13 engine?
- engine swap with M16 engine?
- modify M16 engine to include a turbocharger then swap (unless an M16 with a turbo exists?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2020 21:03 #228426 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Engine swapping
Very simple answer, none of them are going to be easy. Then if you increase power greatly the gear box, drive train and brakes won’t be up to the job. Then your insurance will go up big time.

It might be easier to buy something else or just enjoy the Jimny for what it is.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
21 Sep 2020 21:44 #228429 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Engine swapping
the m16 swap is easy. It is a straight fit, no hassle compared to other engine swaps.
I have no idea what is with your english insurances thoiugh.

Since swapping the engine, i have however changed the transmission and the rear diff.. and my clutch is smelly if pushed, even though it was changed with the engine. I had the weak gearbox from 2005 to 2009. Might be a heavy foot as well. :)
Still worth it anyways.

If your engine is sluggish it might be a congested catalytic converter as well.
I went from third gear 80kmt max up a local hill to 120kmt fifth gear on the same hill after fixing my cats and swapping to an m16..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds