BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Issues to look out for....

• arco-iris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2020 20:02 #228353 by arco-iris
Issues to look out for.... was created by arco-iris
I'm thinking of looking at a 2001 Jimny tomorrow, don't know anything about them (Fourtrak owner) what common issues should I be looking for? Not worried about anything mechanical, but are there common MOT failure issues? The vehicle concerned has an online history of passes without advisories, the last ten months ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2020 22:54 #228357 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Issues to look out for....
In short .rust.
Sills, under the rear seats by seat belt mounts , in the Jack housing well in the boot area, behind headlamps and by the body mounts to chassis.

Check brake lines espiecally from front to rear under drivers side..
The following user(s) said Thank You: arco-iris

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2020 23:01 #228358 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic Issues to look out for....
They rust, what fossie said.

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Buying_a_Jimny#Jimny_3

The wiki is a good buying guide.

The engine should be a M13 type by 2001, it's a nice simple DOHC that's generally very reliable.

• arco-iris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Sep 2020 14:37 #228369 by arco-iris
Replied by arco-iris on topic Issues to look out for....
Thank you both for your help, unfortunately it was sold before I could get there.

• arco-iris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2020 20:40 - 21 Sep 2020 20:49 #228423 by arco-iris
Replied by arco-iris on topic Issues to look out for....
The vehicle got re-advertised so I went to look at it, armed with the helpful information given here.

Rusty behind the headlamps as said, easy to see as any arch liners that should have been hiding it weren't there at all. The only other rust I could find was both rear seat belt mounts, lifting the seat squabs as recommended - looks a simple repair, even simpler to take the seats out..... and a 30mm hole in the boot floor to the right of the wheel well, in the corner, not structural.

It has been used for green laning and has lifted springs (not lifted body mounts), with some plastic panels missing (should there be something along the sills?) or loose. As a result it was easy to examine the front seat belt mounts and sills and both sides are near perfect. No rust at all in the wheel well.

The front swivels are extremely oily, I read this morning about not being filled with oil - does this indicate that the have been, should they in fact be totally dry?

1.3 DOHC ran very sweet & smooth, accelerated readily & smoothly but then hitting the brakes, while they worked straight, hands off, it almost felt like there was little servo assistance (heavy foot needed to make the car stop). Normal?

The black (? more like dull charcoal) paint is a bit off, almost like a Raptor finish, but that doesn't matter - did Jimmy's come in black? Most bits I could see were the same colour, under the bonnet paler, plastic arches also matched. Four nice alloys, steel spare, all with Cooper A/T tyres, 215/75x15, some a bit cracked so old. Seats clean, only slight wear to drivers.

It's passed all recent MOT's without advisories & IMHO only needs the rear s/belt mounts for the next. Could I ask what you experts think it's worth?
Last edit: 21 Sep 2020 20:49 by arco-iris. Reason: missed a bit

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Sep 2020 04:05 #228432 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Issues to look out for....
Can't comment on value. The oily swivels mean the kingpin bearings are failed causing the inner axle oil seals to let the diff oil out. I would be sceptical of the mot history unless you know the test centre in question is reliable. Generally it sounds a little unloved and whilst it could be fairly straightforward to get upto scratch I would look at more examples.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: arco-iris

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds