BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Strange FWD Problem

More
14 Sep 2020 09:47 #228182 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Re:Strange FWD Problem
If it does not engage with the hoses disconnected, I would second Lambert‘s assessment.

Maybe the first test would be to electrically disconnect the vacuum solenoid. If then the hub still engages then I would think the solenoid is defective and under certain mechanical circumstances is not tight or constantly slightly leaking, or ... . If it doesn‘t engage then the defect might still be in the solenoid or in the connections, ... .

So far there is no explanation why if you switch the 4WD on the other hub engages first but I would ignore this for the moment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert
The topic has been locked.
  • blake
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2020 18:04 #228193 by blake
Replied by blake on topic Re:Strange FWD Problem
Might be getting somewhere with this now, let's go with the leaky solenoid valve for a moment and I suppose in order to eliminate it from the chase would be to replace then test, however just a couple of questions before I do just that, one is if leaking why would it not activate the right first being the shortest route, second is has this never happened before, are they that reliable that it chucks up this apparently never heard of problem before?
More
15 Sep 2020 05:52 #228199 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Re:Strange FWD Problem
As written before, I would just disconnect the solenoid and test as a next step and as also written before I would propose to ignore the sequence of hubs switching. You can of course think of reasons why this might be so and ways to test them.

From what I experienced, heard, and read the behavior you describe is not very common, actually I never heard of this.

On the other hand, this could well happen from time to time but one hub or both engaging is nothing a usual driver might notice because the only thing happening is that the diff and the propshaft turn.

And drivers with the experience who maybe would notice it, have maybe manual hubs, newer cars, or just do Lambert`s proposal without ever finding out if the solenoid is the reason, a bad connection, both or something else.
  • blake
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2020 22:19 #228709 by blake
Replied by blake on topic Strange FWD Problem
An update on this nightmare, pulled electrical plugs from vacuum solinoids and as expected no movement on hubs when driving which confirms no vacuum leaks
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Oct 2020 04:49 #228711 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Strange FWD Problem
it was at that point where I lost patience with trying to fix my hubs on Dreadnaught and went for manual. The cost of the solenoid vs the avm hubs was about equal and the avm is more versatile and more robust.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
More
03 Oct 2020 09:09 #228713 by Roger Fairclough
Does anyone make a solid flange conversion for the Jimny? By fitting them you would have have the ability to engage 4wd on the move without any of the faffing about.

Roger
  • Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Oct 2020 09:19 #228714 by Lambert
Yes and no. Suzuki had drive flanges on the sj that fit but you either need a spacer to clear the running face of the vacuum seal on the jimny hub nut or you cut same off or I think its the earlier vitara that has the hub nut without the flange.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Oct 2020 09:20 #228715 by Lambert
Oh and drive flanges don't allow for low 2wd like manual hubs do.

More
03 Oct 2020 10:36 #228717 by Roger Fairclough
Lambert.
For normal road use you would be in 2wd high range. If you want to shift into 4wd for situations that suddenly develop and you have solid flanges, then you can do so without having to stop and switch on manual hubs. As the Jimny transfer case is purely mechanical you could drive in low range or high range 4wd but you would encounter axle wind up to a degree. The extent would depend on surface conditions, tyre wear etc, but as this is for probably unavoidable situations, then for short distances it is a practical idea. Although it would not be an ideal situation, the knowledge that you have an infallible mechanical link between drive shaft and hub that can be engaged without getting out of the car is maybe worth it.

Roger
  • Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Oct 2020 12:20 #228721 by Lambert
Yes you have to get out of the car to get 4x4 but being an intelligent creature it is possible to relatively easily predict when that might be. For example if I plan on a day on the lanes then I engage the hubs when I get the beginning of the first one and leave them in until I'm on my way home. Alternatively if we get a forecast of snow then I will engage the hubs and leave them in until they predict it clearing. But in the mean time with the hubs disengaged I have 4x2 low on demand which coupled with sensible tyres means that in most dry conditions a Jimny doesn't really suffer from a lack of traction especially on rocky lanes, so all that is actually needed is low range for control but that's a judgement call based on the experience, skill and competence of the driver and their familiarity with their Jimny, I can get Dreadnaught on road tyres to places a novice would struggle with on mud tyres.

More
03 Oct 2020 13:05 #228724 by Roger Fairclough
I am not going to argue the case with you Lambert, especially if you resort to sarcasm, I have put forward a scenario for members to contemplate and make use of if they feel it would help. if you don't like it, then you can leave it.
I will not comment further.

Roger
  • blake
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2020 13:44 #228726 by blake
Replied by blake on topic Strange FWD Problem
Customer is now convinced that there is something wrong with his transfer box to the extent he has purchased a S/H unit, god only knows why he thinks that is the problem as is does everything you ask it do when you require it to do so, after our last test with the plugs off the solenoid must be getting power on a random basis to activate them
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds