BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Tpms question

• zebraman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2020 21:06 #227178 by zebraman
Tpms question was created by zebraman
Hi,

Silly question but I've dropped my tyre pressures to 22psi and now I can't get tpms to reset. The warning keeps coming on.

The manual isn't very helpful and I've driven the car around. Is it that I need to drive for quite a while before it will go off?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2020 21:26 #227179 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Tpms question

zebraman wrote: Hi,

Silly question but I've dropped my tyre pressures to 22psi and now I can't get tpms to reset. The warning keeps coming on.

The manual isn't very helpful and I've driven the car around. Is it that I need to drive for quite a while before it will go off?

22psi is very low. Door card advises 26psi or 28psi if i memba correctly.

More
22 Aug 2020 21:36 #227180 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Tpms question
There is currently no way to alter the alert threshold on the tpms system. You either have to take the pressures back to where they should be or fit dummy sensors or a sensor emulator to do the system. No-one seems to have found a system to do this yet

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• zebraman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2020 21:59 #227182 by zebraman
Replied by zebraman on topic Re:Tpms question
AHH okay. I had them at 24 and it was good but 22 is really perfect in terms of ride.

It let me go down to 24 and didn't go off but 22 did. I can bump it up a bit and trial and error it I guess.

Thank you.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Aug 2020 05:23 #227187 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Tpms question
Tpms. Yet another nanny state system applied on a one size fits all basis. You would have thought that after all the years of producing capable off road vehicles Suzuki would have worked out that different terrain requires different tyre pressure. Sadly I suspect its an artefact of using the same system as in the road cars to save half a penny per unit.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 Aug 2020 18:10 #227221 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Re:Tpms question
Tyre pressure monitoring system, Electronic stability program, Anti lock braking system, lane departure warning, vehicle swaying warning, traffic sign recognition, dual sensor brake support and any others that I may have missed are all part of the efforts of Safety Health and Welfare to satisfy the needs of the vast majority of the crap drivers in this country ie the person next door so they can breed and produce more crap drivers.
This is initially the fault of car makers who are desperate to sell their products and so invent new and basically useless things to add on to the spec. sheet of their latest go-go mark 3. These super add on items are then included in the sheet of must haves by SH and W and the ball rolls on.
Given the choice I would have ABS because no one is that cool that a sudden emergency would not see them jumping on the brakes and TPMS because it detected a slow puncture in Vivs Audi when we picked up a nail on the A14.
Regarding Lamberts last statement, it's unfortunate but Suzuki are damned if they do and damned if they don't .TPMS is required by law, end of, and it would be pointless if you could lower the setting because the very thing they are designed to show up would then be compromised.

Roger

More
23 Aug 2020 18:17 #227222 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Tpms question

Roger Fairclough wrote: it would be pointless if you could lower the setting because the very thing they are designed to show up would then be compromised.

Roger

But safety is compromised by the TPMS not allowing you to run the tyres at the correct pressure for the tyres you have fitted. There should be a dealer or installer over-ride to set the alert value to the correct value for the tyres.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Bill Portland

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Aug 2020 18:42 - 23 Aug 2020 18:46 #227224 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Tpms question
Rodger, I take on board what you are saying but as a business user in an industry where off road competence is a priority, all this new over complexity simply means that I will maintain my current fleet for much longer than if there were a similarly low spec new alternative. And the thing is that I am not alone, a prime example is Yorkshire Water that are continuing with their existing fleet of older defenders mixed in with a few shogun commercial variants because there isn't a suitable swb 4x4 alternative that is actually capable of doing serious work with the exception of the overpriced land cruiser or the oversized double cab pickup offerings. I'm sure that I might have a different view if I were after a vehicle purely for my own benefit but even then I would hardly see tpms and the rest as "simplify and add lightness".

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 23 Aug 2020 18:46 by Lambert.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2020 19:24 #227228 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Re:Tpms question
Forgive my dumbness but what would happen if you just replaced tpms valves with normal rubber valves? legal to do so?

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2020 19:51 #227230 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Re:Tpms question
Just swapping the valves will light up the dash which is an MOT failure. There are several work arounds to overcome this. Really depends how much you dislike TPMS. Chris

More
23 Aug 2020 20:01 #227231 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Tpms question
In general I don't have a problem with TPMS, I just think the facility should be built into the system (being an Off Roader) to mute the low pressure alarm. Even if it meant a sequence of button presses or just through the menu on the MFD every time you switched the ignition on. That way the ecu would recognise that you had manually muted the alert, that should satisfy the nanny state.

More
23 Aug 2020 21:05 #227234 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Tpms question
You could fool the system by attaching the TPMS sensors with there special tyre cores to an air tank set at the required pressure and fixed somewhere inside the engine bay. If properly made it should hold it's air pressure for a decent period of time.
Anybody want to give it a go?

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds