BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Carrying additional fuel

More
16 Aug 2020 08:39 #226769 by Gadget
Related to my NC500 thread. What's the safest way to carry additional fuel? Inside the car or outside? Metal or plastic can? 5/10/20 litres?

Do I need to buy a roofrack?:S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2020 09:07 #226771 by ahtr
Replied by ahtr on topic Carrying additional fuel
I don't think fuel is an issue on the NC500. Not to the extent of carrying spare cans. I'd just say top off the tank when you come across a petrol station if you're nervous about it. We usually go up "out of season" and they're still all open, never had a problem.

Haven't done it in the Jimny but have taken some particularly low mpg cars. The only issue I found was finding super unleaded around the west and north, not really an issue in a Jimny.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
16 Aug 2020 09:23 #226773 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Carrying additional fuel
I'm forever running out of fuel because I do most of my miles on the farm, rarely pass a petrol station and I'm absent minded. I carry a 10 litre jerry can in the car. Make sure you have an appropriate funnel or spout with a slender tip for getting past the small flap in the filler neck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Aug 2020 09:52 #226776 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Carrying additional fuel
When I go I remove the plywood liner from the back and find that a metal 20l can fits nicely behind each front seat with a ratchet strap just on the off chance of a bump in the road dislodging them. It's double the standard capacity and completely removes any concerns about fuel so you can get fuel as it becomes available instead of having to planning it or worse actually having to go out of the way to find it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Aug 2020 10:00 #226778 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Carrying additional fuel
Inside or outside the vehicle makes no real difference, in both cases it needs to be secured.
The only plus for outside is if you spill any on the fuel can when filling the inside of your vehicle does not smell of petrol, but if you are careful it's not an issue.
I have one of these which I carry (secured) inside the vehicle when needed. It's very well made and totally air tight. The down side is you need a spout which costs extra.
www.machinemart.co.uk/p/10-litre-jerry-can-2/
I simply don't like the cheap plastic cans with screw on lids, it's a personal preference thing, I had one pop off once possibly as I had not fitted it correctly in the dark.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Aug 2020 10:09 #226780 by Lambert
Yeah those are what I have except the 20l version. They are very good. I have been using them in lockdown for keeping mothers car fueled so she can avoid petrol stations. They seal really well. I use an offset funnel instead of the spout as it flows better so less time spent hugging 20kg of fuel and can.

More
16 Aug 2020 10:20 #226781 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Carrying additional fuel
Just carry a 5 litre plastic fuel can, you'll get 30-40 miles from that if you run out.

More
16 Aug 2020 10:23 #226782 by Jimny-Phil
Replied by Jimny-Phil on topic Carrying additional fuel
Not being too pedantic, but... my understanding of “the rules” is that you’re not supposed to keep more than 10 litres of petrol in a single can... I think that the 20 litre ones are really meant for diesel?... apologies if I’m incorrect

PJ

2020 Brisk Blue JB74 SZ5

More
16 Aug 2020 10:26 - 16 Aug 2020 10:32 #226783 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Carrying additional fuel
I think you are OK at 20ltrs in an approved container, but some fuel stations can be funny about filling over 10ltr, Sainsbury's spring to mind. It does depend which jobs worth is working on the day you go. Tends to say on the pumps, approved container, must say petrol, etc.

I also have the 20ltr versions for my Land Rover and have had no issues filling them, I went 10ltr in the Jimny as it was a limit on the channel tunnel crossing and we went during the French fuel strike, so needed extra just in case.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 16 Aug 2020 10:32 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Aug 2020 10:48 #226785 by Lambert
There is nothing in law that I could find. But petrol stations are at the liberty of their insurance. My nearest BP is averse but the BP in Ripon aren't bothered, to the point of 90l of rebated diesel and 70l of unleaded in cans and the grand vitara tank from empty in the same trip, not a murmur.

More
16 Aug 2020 11:57 #226787 by Jimny-Phil
Replied by Jimny-Phil on topic Carrying additional fuel

Lambert wrote: When I go I remove the plywood liner from the back and find that a metal 20l can fits nicely behind each front seat with a ratchet strap just on the off chance of a bump in the road dislodging them. It's double the standard capacity and completely removes any concerns about fuel so you can get fuel as it becomes available instead of having to planning it or worse actually having to go out of the way to find it.

What do you secure it to?

PJ

2020 Brisk Blue JB74 SZ5

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Aug 2020 12:09 #226788 by Lambert
I have 2 heavy duty D rings that bolt into the floor when I take the plywood deck out. I also have 2 more on the captive bolts on the inside of the wheel arches that I use when the deck is installed. I can't stand things that rattle when I'm driving so everything is tightened up so it's quiet.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds