BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof tent

• Marloes van Oijen
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2020 09:56 #226701 by Marloes van Oijen
Roof tent was created by Marloes van Oijen
I'm looking for a roof tent for our Suzuki Jimny 1999. The roof load is max 40 kilos, so the options are not that big.
Does anyone know which tents are suitable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Aug 2020 11:06 #226710 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Roof tent
Welcome to the forum. The roof load is 30kg on the standard plastic roof rails. Some people fit after market racks directly to the roof and then use a roof tent but that's a very debatable path to follow. The problem is in the event of needing to claim against the insurance in the event of a collision. Regardless of whether you have informed the insurance they'll turn round and say that the manufacturer stipulated the roof load at 30kg and you exceeded it and that contributed to the claim and as such voids the policy, and arguing with the insurance is not to be taken lightly. A better option than a roof tent would be a camping trailer with the tent on it. It's a more versatile option as you can still use the Jimny without having to break camp and you also have much more storage and better aerodynamics and handling than with a big heavy lump up high.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Aug 2020 19:54 #226741 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Roof tent
I contacted Suzuki UK about the roof load thing and they confirmed that the maximum gross load for the roof of a Gen 3, regardless of what rails or rack you are using, is 30kg. The same limit applies to the gen 4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
15 Aug 2020 20:22 #226743 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Roof tent

Busta wrote: The same limit applies to the gen 4.

No it doesn't.

More
15 Aug 2020 20:50 #226744 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Roof tent

Bill Portland wrote:

No it doesn't.

Please explain.

More
15 Aug 2020 20:57 #226745 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Roof tent

Soeley wrote:

Bill Portland wrote:

No it doesn't.

Please explain.

I haven't found any Suzuki stated roof load limit for the gen 4, only a limit for the Suzuki brand roof bars.

More
15 Aug 2020 21:04 - 15 Aug 2020 21:16 #226746 by Busta
Just one source where it's mentioned: Sadly, the recommended roof load capacity remains at 30kg. Some Jimny roof racks weighs up to 26kg, so you could legally carry two bottles of milk. Yay.

Email Suzuki UK and see for yourself. They were very quick to get back to me about my gen 3.
ETA I've emailed them about the gen 4 myself, just to be sure I haven't mis-read.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2020 21:16 by Busta.

More
15 Aug 2020 21:39 #226748 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Roof tent
Best available info, from multiple people who have contacted Suzuki direct both here and in Aus, is that 30kg is the max permissible roof load on the Gen4.

Clearly it can take far more weight than that as static load, but flip your car with a 70kg rack/tent combo on top and I think the conversation with your insurer would be tricky.

More
15 Aug 2020 22:05 #226750 by Busta
Exactly. It's nothing to do with much weight the roof structure can physically handle, because clearly it could take hundreds of KG before it buckled. It has everything to do with how a narrow, tall car on soft suspension handles in emergency situations when you have a significant amount of weight at the highest point.
A trailer tent or even, god forbid, a regular tent tent in the boot, is a much better solution for all manner of reasons.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Aug 2020 03:36 #226759 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Roof tent

Bill Portland wrote:

No it doesn't.

Busta has previously posted a copy of an email received from Suzuki customer services that specifically stated that regardless of the the weight rating of any chosen support structures the weight limit of the roof on either of the gen3 or gen4 is 30kg.

This will have a lot to do with the infamous Consumer Report attempt to discredit the gen2 as being prone to rolling over. By setting the roof load deliberately low it prevents them being subject to renewed claims of producing an inherent design flaw and being sued. You ignoring the specified limit places all liability on you.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Aug 2020 08:23 #226767 by Busta
30kg is inline with other cars of a similar size, and it also represents a significant amount of the total ~300kg payload, so I don't think it is a reaction to anything other than sensible load limits. When you've only got 300kg to play with it would seem foolhardy to allocate a large proportion of that to the outside of the car, right at the top.
30kg still allows for carrying regular stuff like ladders, a roofbox, a couple of bicycles or a kayak. It's only with this desire to stick over-priced, needlessly heavy tents on the roof or fit massive overland style roof racks that don't seem to have any practical purpose, that it becomes restrictive. Camping with a Jimny works perfectly well if you use a normal tent, and you avoid all the hangups of having your accommodation permanently attached to your means of transport.

More
16 Aug 2020 08:52 - 16 Aug 2020 08:54 #226770 by Jimny-Phil
Replied by Jimny-Phil on topic Roof tent
So... if the limit is 30kg, for a Gen 4, does this mean that fitting something like a Front Runner Slimline Roofrack, that I think already weighs in at 29 kg, becomes pretty pointless?.... unless you want to carry a big bag of feathers!.... it suggests that everyone around the world that has done this and has used such a rack for anything more than either looking pretty, or mounting some spots or a light bar is, putting it politely, being silly!!

PJ

2020 Brisk Blue JB74 SZ5
Last edit: 16 Aug 2020 08:54 by Jimny-Phil.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds