BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Tonka's poorly

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2020 18:03 #226414 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Tonka's poorly
Roger, I quote from my reply above: "I suggest monitoring voltages if you have electrical anomalies.
There are anecdotal reports of the motor shutting down at 11.5V!"

By monitoring the voltage I can see when the anomalies are likely to occur and the increased probability of the motor shutting down.

The voltage is easy to read as it's the top number on the screen in the Service Menu.

Also I suggest watching the video in the topic below on intermittent fault diagnosis.
I am not suggesting the large cables he found but maybe one of the smaller connections in the voltage control circuits.
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...ps-gradually?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2020 18:27 - 09 Aug 2020 18:29 #226415 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Tonka's poorly

Roger Fairclough wrote: Went out for the day last Friday and reached Worcester (15 Miles) when motor cut out. Backed off throttle and motor resumed. Struggled through one lane system on roadworks when she resumed after dipping clutch and pumping throttle. Continued on but motor obviously struggling so turned back.Reached Redditch with serious loss of power. could be coaxed up to 50 mph but only slowly. Drop to 40 and full throttle and she died; back off and she picked up. Booked into dealer next wednesday.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Roger

ps. Tonka is a gen.4 with 1800 miles.

I suspect the dealer may know whats happening here. But for future motoring, perhaps consider a battery monitor.

I have just fitted an AEG monitor. It simply fits on your battery via adehsisve backing one wire to the pos other to neg. Then use woth an app on your mobile phone.

It monitors the idleing voltage in real time via bluetooth, shows what voltage your accessories are taking from the battery, shows a graph of your historic journeys, tells you if the alternator is doing its job correctly etc. Its been brilliant.

Here are my screenshots of the battery status in real time of my oen stock suzuki battery.

If it is something electrical this may help you diagnose it.

Hope this helps.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Aug 2020 18:29 by Andy2640.

More
12 Aug 2020 21:08 #226578 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Tonka's poorly
Update.
Took Tonka in for the free service asked them to check headlamp aim and cutting out. Previous thoughts on cutting out concluded that the only evidence that may have tied them together was that the fuel tank had been filled to the brim. No fault code came up and a call to Suzuki drew a blank. Since the second occasion (first was a minor stutter that cleared within a couple of seconds), the car has run perfectly. On Monday I ran the motor for 10 miles at high speed and then stopped and checked filler cap. No vacuum in tank so cap is venting ok.

I will monitor the situation and see how Tonka behaves and if all goes well I will brim the tank again and see what happens.

Roger

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2020 22:59 #226594 by GeorgeC
Hi Roger, nice to see Tonka is doing better now! :)

I am curious, did you monitor the Voltage on the drive? I am still waiting for Suzuki to get back to me with a dealer that has the Scan Tool so we can check for Codes and do the service.

(PM sent)

More
13 Aug 2020 06:36 #226599 by Roger Fairclough
Not yet George. Coming down to basics it's either fuel or electrics and the fact that overfilling the tank on both occasions is the only common denominator I will wait a week or so and if Tonka is running normally I will overfill again and see what happens. I don't like not knowing the cause! It happened and there has to be a reason.

Roger

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2020 08:27 - 13 Aug 2020 08:38 #226605 by GeorgeC
All good Roger. I just booked mine in for it's 18 Month Service next Tuesday with a Dealer who has Two Suzuki Technicians and a Suzuki Scan Tool! :)
Last edit: 13 Aug 2020 08:38 by GeorgeC.

More
13 Aug 2020 16:30 #226620 by Roger Fairclough
Drove out to Chasewater reservoir this morning. Whilst negotiating an island at slow speed some 5 miles from site engine died. Backed off throttle and engine started. Did that 3 times and then ran normally. Puled over and unscrewed filler cap but couldn't hear any hissing due to traffic noise. screwed cap back on but not tight. Completed run to site no problem. At Chasewater screwed cap normally and came home after 2 hours visit.No problem. Journey back mostly M6 and M5 at speeds 50-60 mph. No problems.
I will email customer services at Suzuki with copy to dealer and see what happens. Battery voltage 5 mins. after getting home 12.7.

Roger

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2020 18:17 - 13 Aug 2020 19:19 #226625 by GeorgeC
Hi Roger, Last first: 12.7V just after shut-down is a bit low, depending on what is switched on and how its measured. I'll PM my procedure.
I think you have covered the possibility of Fuel.
When mine cut out, it was going below 12V on the Service Menu after driving about 8km at 12.2V.
Could you drive with the menu displayed?
Are there any (other) minor electrical anomalies?
Last edit: 13 Aug 2020 19:19 by GeorgeC.

More
16 Aug 2020 16:29 #226793 by Roger Fairclough
Checked the fuel cap and believed the valve to let air into the tank may have been blocked. Checked it again this morning and all was well so maybe when I fiddled with it yesterday I cleared it.

Anyway I have just got back from a drive of 80 minutes or so without any problems.

So just maybe!

Roger

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2020 17:06 - 17 Aug 2020 06:30 #226798 by GeorgeC
Looks like you have nailed it, Roger. I am going down the 0W-20 'Oil trail' on Tuesday, after Martin's Tutorial on the Gen4 Alternator last Saturday. :)
Last edit: 17 Aug 2020 06:30 by GeorgeC.

More
17 Aug 2020 14:41 #226847 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Tonka's poorly
Whenever it's fill up time, I get a quite a large inrush of air when I release the filler cap. Is that not normal? Can't say it's caused any issues

More
17 Aug 2020 14:56 - 17 Aug 2020 14:57 #226848 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Tonka's poorly
Its normal.

The tank can have both a pressure and a vacuum at different times, particularly when running, its part of the emissions and vapour recovery process

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 17 Aug 2020 14:57 by mlines.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds