BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Towbar

More
31 Jul 2020 12:37 #225894 by Wailin
Towbar was created by Wailin
Looking to fit a towbar to my 2002 jimny, it has a 2" body lift but I'm thinking that makes no difference? Could you recommend a towbar folks I'm struggling to find one online that will fit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2020 16:26 #225898 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Towbar
I can confirm the body lift will make on difference, the towbars I have seen bolt to the chassis.
Surprised you can find any online, national shortages?
i suspect with a body lift you will not obscure the numberplate, so any fixed hitch offering will do.
www.just-tow.co.uk/product/suzuki-jimny-...ent-towtrust-towbar/
No direct experience of these, may not be cheapest, simply first Google result.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Jul 2020 17:10 #225899 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Towbar
If you want a good one try towtrust, it's better to go directly to them as they offer good deals.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Aug 2020 22:54 - 01 Aug 2020 22:55 #225960 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Towbar
Depends what you are towing but the towball will now sit 2 inches higher making the trailer slope.
I believe there is a standard EU height which all towbars are made to conform to.
Possibly you'll need to fit a drop plate (or a spacer on the drawbar) which also means getting one with a bolt on towball but these are more versatile anyway for bike racks etc.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 01 Aug 2020 22:55 by gilburton.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Aug 2020 05:37 #225964 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Towbar
The op said they had a body lift so the tow bar will be unaffected as its mounted to the chassis. The only increase in height is therefore going to be the increase in tyre radius over the standard tyre assuming taller tyres has been fitted.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Aug 2020 08:55 #225969 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Towbar
Tow bracket manufacturers have to stick to relevant standards so they will assume that the vehicle is standard and make the bracket to comply. If that means the ball would obstruct the number plate then a removable "swan neck" style is the usual option. If you then have a spare wheel fitted to the rear door further complications arise and the "swan neck" will be longer to put the ball outside of the tyre. Either way the fact that you have put body spacers on the vehicle is irrelevant. The bracket and ball are made to suit a standard car.

Roger

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Aug 2020 09:36 #225973 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Towbar
The chassis and running gear do the towing, the body is just along for the ride. The body now has a better view so is less likely to complain "are we there yet"?
Chris

More
06 Aug 2020 15:49 - 06 Aug 2020 15:50 #226140 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Towbar
Ah yes rap over knuckles. Well I am old and mine is all standard so I'm not in to body lifts and bigger tyres etc. lol
It might actually make it easier to fit as the rear box gets in the way lol

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 06 Aug 2020 15:50 by gilburton.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds