BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

To Snorkel or Not......

More
27 Jul 2020 11:32 #225741 by Jimny2003
Hi all, be interested in your views.....Most of the off road stuff I do is greenlaning, but every now and again we come across deep or flooded puddles where I have had water splash over the bonnet, but we are not talking wading!!! So having looked at my air filter box, its as dry as a bone, and Ive found the air intake point under the bonnet....fitting a snorkel is kinda permanent, but wondered if adding some pipe to the open air intake for the air filter and moving the intake point back from the headlight or even bringing it internally would be a compromise to adding water protection, without going the whole hog with a snorkel, as I will not go deep water wading.....but the odd pay and play day does involve some deeper water sometimes.....anyone done anything similar?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2020 11:41 #225743 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic To Snorkel or Not......
Most snorkels are fitted as a styling exercise, petrol engines don't wade well compared to diesels. If you move the air intake there could well be a price to pay with general drivability. If someone on here has done it with any success then I stand corrected. Chris

More
27 Jul 2020 12:12 #225745 by Roger Fairclough
I built a 2 way air valve and fitted it to my Toyota KZJ 70. The engine was an old fashioned 3 litre turbo diesel and the only electrical connection to the engine was the fuel shut off valve. I have disregarded starter motor and info. circuits.

Air could be taken from the normal position or from inside the cab. The cab entry was just above the pedal position and yes it was noisy but remember you are only operating it for tiny periods of time.I used it for water depths of circa 800 mm without problem.

Whatever depth of water you are considering wading through you need to consider the following.

1- Is the exit point doable ie just because you can get into the water, is there an exit point.
2- Do you know the condition of the bottom ie are there unseen holes.
3- What is the flow like ie could I be washed away especially if i hit a hole and stand a chance of becoming buoyant.
There are probably others but wading is probably the most dangerous manoeuvre you can do. Get it wrong and and you have more than a wrecked engine!

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimny2003

More
27 Jul 2020 12:59 #225746 by Roger Fairclough
More points to note concern the snorkel itself. The usual type consists of a thin walled plastic contraption that bolts to the wing and "A" pillar and finishes at about roof level. It screws to the body and pillar with PK screws or rivnuts. Both of these fixings, especially the PK type will promote rusting of the body panel. Being a fixing that is directly in the air flow, they will produce noise, just as a roof rack does. They are also flimsy so brushing against bushes or trees will damage or destroy them. They are easy to split and if you don't see the damage water ingress could be the result. The top of the snorkel usually has some form of funnel to direct the air into the pipe. It will also direct rain, road spray and detritus.If you reverse the funnel you destroy any air dam effect the funnel may promote. It has already been pointed out that petrol engines and water don't mix and for that matter alternators, starter motors g/boxes, t/boxes, axles, brakes etc are all prone to damage unless you waterproof them, if that is possible.

Sorry if this appears to be all doom and gloom but better you have the facts than finish up sitting in a metre of water with a dead engine with the thought "nobody told me that would happen".

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Jul 2020 15:49 #225750 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic To Snorkel or Not......
The thing is that if you know what you are doing it is possible to manipulate the water in front of the vehicle and move it in a bow waveand create pockets of air below the natural water level. In effect this means you can with care avoid needing a snorkel. Or you could be like me and avoid water any deeper than the bottom of the alloys.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Jul 2020 08:29 #225772 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic To Snorkel or Not......
The top of the tyres is the safe wading limit for the standard air intake. If you're regularly going that deep you need to consider fitting transmission breather hoses, or replace your transmission oils after every submersion. Routing a 2 inch or larger hose from the normal air intake to the back of the engine bay might give you peace of mind and won't affect how the engine runs.

There's no need to worry about your modern petrol engine under water! Long gone are the days of points and distributors shorting out at the merest whiff of moisture. In fact, these simple petrol engines have far fewer vulnerable electronics than modern diesels, and suffer much less in the unlikely event that you do draw water in.

More
30 Jul 2020 19:33 #225872 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic To Snorkel or Not......
Fit a snorkel.....why not....then go drive Strata Florida to test it....

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds