BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Light Bar

More
03 Aug 2020 12:41 #226021 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Light Bar
For safety you need both. Power from the battery into the relay via a fuse. The wire from the old lamp is wired to activate the relay. This wire only takes a nominal current so the original fuse for the lamps will be sufficient. Cable from battery to relay and relay to lamp needs to be 32 strand each 0.2mm. This is rated at 16.5 amp. Relays are usually rated at 30 amp. I would fit a combined fuse and relay socket as this makes installation easier and neater. Try Vehicle Wiring Products WWW.vehicleproducts.co.uk or Auto Electric Supplies WWW.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2020 12:43 - 03 Aug 2020 12:48 #226022 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Light Bar
Yes - You can use the original fog light feed safely up to a light bar of 135 watts or under based on the indicated 15A fuse. This assumes your wiring is as supplied by Suzuki and has not been modified. Your original halogen fog lights presented a load of 110W, so its all in the design area Suzuki intended.

If you go above this, or you are just not sure, then the best approach is to fit a new relay / fuse feed supply as indicated above.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Aug 2020 12:48 by Scimike.

More
03 Aug 2020 20:42 #226050 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Light Bar
Why are we suggesting to connect a light bar to the fog light wiring?! Ok, that will work day to day, the (front) fog light switch could be used to turn a light bar on and off, but what about the yearly MoT? Not sure a tester would like a light bar coming on when the fog lights were supposedly switched on?

To my mind, and how I usually (and will wire the buggy's LED light bar) would be to come on with main beam? Wired via a fuse and a relay, and just remove the fuse on MoT day so that the LED light bar does not come on with main beam, which would also be frowned upon...

More
03 Aug 2020 21:06 #226053 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Light Bar
Colin the Viking never mentioned fog lights. He talked about spot lights.On my Landcruiser I wired a 7" lamp to connect into the headlamp circuit via individual relays. Various MoT inspectors passed the system over 20 years and never adversely commented on it, so I would do as you suggest and wire it, via a relay and fuse into the main headlamp circuit but don't remove the fuse for the MoT.

Roger

More
03 Aug 2020 21:26 - 03 Aug 2020 21:43 #226056 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Light Bar
Depends upon the light bar power, remember the regs predate LEDs and lumins!

Additional driving lamps can only work with the main beam, BUT they must be the correct wattage for road use, no higher than the headlamp power!

They are not legal if too powerful, incorrectly mounted (the regs talk about pairs of lights, not a single light bar), but you can still have them, you just can't use them on the road. So in this instance must have a switch fitted and they should not work in conjunction with the main lights.
So yes the fog switch is iffy as it only works when the main vehicle lights are on, equally the headlamp main circuit is iffy if the LED is over 55W!

The only safe way is a new relay feed switched from within the vehicle.

My car passes it's MOT with a dash switched feed to the single roof mounted light bar, used off road only. ;)
I also asked an MOT tester before I fitted it, so my take on his words.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Aug 2020 21:43 by Scimike.

More
04 Aug 2020 11:10 - 04 Aug 2020 11:13 #226068 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Light Bar

X8GGY wrote: Why are we suggesting to connect a light bar to the fog light wiring?! Ok, that will work day to day, the (front) fog light switch could be used to turn a light bar on and off, but what about the yearly MoT? Not sure a tester would like a light bar coming on when the fog lights were supposedly switched on?.

Front fog lights are optional and aren't part of an MOT test.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2020 11:13 by Busta.

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2020 10:47 #226894 by ColinTheViking
Replied by ColinTheViking on topic Light Bar
This is what i thought too hence i cut my bumper and dont have front fog/spot lamps anymore, wont fail mot for not having them just the same as wont fail mot for having a light bar that has a separate switch and does not work in conjunction with the main beams.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds